Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI - any experience with customefis.com?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Oct 10, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Does anyone have experience/used customefis.com for converting to EFI?

After stalling my truck in Moab a few times (e.g. on the Rockpile in Pritchett canyon) it may be time for a new winter project and convert to EFI /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I am going to get one of the kits from Customefis and have done a bit of research. I have talked to John via email a few times and he is great. He is very knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile for the customer. The only thing you have to understand about his kit is that they are complete custom builds per order. The harness, chip, and hardware adapters are made to your specs when you order so it takes some time. It will probably take several weeks to get your kit. The wait is well worth it though because he produces a quality, well-tuned system. The kit is also VERY complete and you should be able to put it on without a trip to the parts store. I know I am looking forward to ditching my carb and getting EFI.
    Here is a link to a site with a review of one of the kits.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

How do I begin... John is a great guy to work with. VERY knowledgable, GREAT product, definitely will do anything he can to get you and your new EFI system happy.

I bought a setup to drop on my 454 that had been giving me problems on tough obstacles etc. John had everything sent to me within a reasonable time considering all the work he did on the system. Installation of EVERYTHING went great, took me about 11hrs all by myself to install it.

Where my problems came in were later when I had been trying and trying to get the system to work on my setup. John hung in there with me all the way, thru about 4 months of trial and error. He had prgrammed about 12 chips, sent 2 different TBI units, reimbursed me for parts I replaced that I found to be bad during that 4 months...

EVEN AFTER I gave up and couldn't take it anymore, I called him up and asked if I could get a refund. NO JOKE, he said no problem. I felt really bad giving up on him, but I had already experienced WAY too much frustration over this thing.

MY CURE? I took the refund $ and I bought a '91 350 out of a K5 complete with EVERYTHING I needed to get the system running minus the tank and sending unit for $600 (which was a GREAT deal). That was the way I should have gone right off the bat. I've run that 350 now and I love it. Wish I'd never wasted my time on the 454... its just too much hassle... I just want to wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Let me know if you need any more info... I could even send some pics of the product I got from John. Great stuff. If thats the way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy!

-Dan

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It will probably take several weeks to get your kit

[/ QUOTE ]

everything they are telling is true and his has top notch stuff.

BUT you must be perpared to wait. i have been waiting months for him to build me a custom harness for me TPI. he has some issues with communicating with his customers and on nummerous occaions he has said it will be done in two weeks and hasn't followed through, and i have always had to be the one asking when it will be done. it sure would be nice if he would drop me a quick note every couple of weeks letting me know how it's coming.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Nice guy...will work it thru with you but like the last post said...has a communication problem...which kinda sux as you feel like he's ditching you. I bought a system from him years back before he went full time...after winning the ebay auction...and waiting two month's with little to no commo....i asked for my money back...and he came thru...no problems. I signed up for his tech help for $30...and bought his serial data cable for my laptop...but i won't by a system from him...

I ended up grabbing the entire fuel system from a donor K5...lines and all...i ran a Howell harness and vss....redrilled the tbi intake to mate to my old heads...7747 ecm and the all the other goodies....been running fine for over two years now...and that includes two Blazer Bashes...and she is my daily driver. I prefer the Howell harness over the painless one....its a quality issue with me...the howell harness is loomed and ready to go...plus the guy who started Howell was a GM engineer..

The other option is to find a 87 to 91 K5...and rob the entire harness....and all the efi components...either way its worth the coin...next to a locker (detroit...no pop-lockers)...it is the single most worth while upgrade you can do...

DW

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks for the replies, guys, good info!

Doug, it looks like I've only got time until Easter to get everything finished.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well...feel free to email me or call with questions anytime.

Goin in for nasal surgery friday and i will be offline for a week or so...as i feel better and since i'll have idle time i'll make a list of parts to do it the way i did it...

DW