Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI fuel pump relays

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by dyeager535, Feb 15, 2007.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been thinking about this one for awhile now.

Anyone have any idea why GM used the odd rectangular relay for the fuel pump, but typically used the oval ones for other stuff, like electric fans and the like?

Not sure if the early TBI stuff used the oval relays too, but on the '88+ body style trucks, the oval bodied relays seem to be the only ones used. Never got a good look at a pristine '88+ wiring harness (only semi-butchered ones in the wrecking yard) but any time I've seen relays still in the rig, they are all oval. The EFI Camaro stuff I've dealt with ('87-88 only) used the same rectangular relay, while using the ovals for everything else.

I'm trying to figure out why they used two different ones. I'd love to ditch it for the oval style I've already got 4 of (that many?? wow) underhood. I will probably do the headlight harness/relay conversion, using the same style relay for all would be great for out of town quick fixes.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 used an oval relay for the fuel pump, internally they are identical, just that one is a weatherpack style, and one isn't

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dorian......you think too much!:D