Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI question

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by big83chevy4x4, Nov 26, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i need a question answered before i order my new cam.
    im seriously considering going with a solid lift cam. im planning on putting EFI (don't know if im going TBI or TPI) in the summer.

will the knock sensor pickup the valve lash from the solid lift cam? if it does, is there an easy way to eliminate the knock sensor? id like to keep it if at all possible.

2. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

The answer is yes you can take out the knock sensor without turning on the check engine light but i forgot how to do it.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

be careful not to get your cam to wild otherwise the FI system may not like it and you could have a hell of a time trying to tune it. Make sure the cam is FI friendly so you don't have to change it out again when you do FI or have your FI run like crap because of the came.

Harley

4. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

Why go solid? you will be adjusting that thing all the time. I fully understand the power a solid cam can give, but I get tired of adjusting them all the time. If it is just a trail rig and not DD then I totally see why. But you can get plenty of power from a hydro cam and not have to adjust things. Unless your only running mud at WOT then you will never see the benefits of the solid cam anyway. Your better off getting a hydro cam that builds gobs of low end torque for most wheeling. Don't forget the cam must match the heads and intake as well or you may not make much power at all anyway. A good matching combo is essental to making good power. Build the motor to run where you will be using it.

5. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

I agree....adjusting all the time... just to find one (or two) of the noisey one...

thank you
    stano
    87 K5

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

adjusting is not a problem. its not my DD, i may drive it to work once in while, but not everyday. trust me ive gone trough the pros and cons of a solid vs hydraulic and i know what im getting my self into.
    this cam isn't that wild its a comp xtreme energy XS262S, 262 268 duration with 110 seperation .477 .488 lift. i have been told that it will work with TBI or TPI.

7. gauder

gauder Banned

tpi won't like the 110degree lobe separation. TPI is most happy at 112