Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms, Jan 25, 2001.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Hi fellows, I own a '85 Jimmy, and I'm new to this board. The carbed 350 in my rig is rather anemic, mileage has been atrocious, I've relocated from SoCal to NE (don't ask) and will spend more time at altitude (CO), so I'm considering to move to TBI. TPI kits are outside my budget (besides, I want that front ARB...). I'm looking at kits from Howell, and ArizonaTPI - they offer a GM kit, and an Accel kit which is programmable. Alternatively, I've been thinking about newer, used engines (somebody had a '98 Vortec in the paper), but it has got to work with my 700R4, which I had rebuilt just about 6k ago. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

michael

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Go for a nice throttle-body all GM system. Of course you will almost never get me to say to go with an aftermaket programmable ECM, so whoda thunk it. A vortec swap will cost you considerably more than a generic TPI swap.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey it's funny that you mention Arizona TPI because i know the owner and i'm friends with the shop mechanic i really like the work that they do but i still have my carb, for right now the cost dosen't justify the work, maybe some day. but i know that they recently rebuilt and have a TBI on diplay in the shop.
    later
    anthony

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Where is Arizona TPI at and how much is their system for a K-5?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Its a pretty straightforward swap, putting a TBI setup on an '85. I did it on my '83, I replaced the 6.2 diesel w/ a TBI 350. I bought the motor, harness, etc, as well as the gas tank, all from the same truck. Since the TBI was available in the same body style truck, the stock TBI harness fits just right. Alternately, if your current 350 is in good shape, you could just add the injection to it. I'm really happy with mine (just wish I had a big block).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Well, it's been a little while, but the TBI is finally on the truck, wouldn't have happened without Jason4x4 :bow:, and a little help from ArizonaTPI :D

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Didn't take too long, you did just make it under the decade mark :laugh:

8. blazin' j

blazin' j 1/2 ton status

I'd say a while, lol...9yrs is a while...kit is a lil bit more than that now...