Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Mar 17, 2004.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I am finally getting around to installing my TBI and I am swapping to a 31gal EFI tank and pump setup.

Advance auto and others have a replacement tank for $99. Chevy duty has a tank for $149. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tanks? I am concerned that the cheap replacement tanks might be just that...cheap. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Make sure that the cheap tank has the baffles in the bottom. It may be cheap because it has none. If you run TBI without them your truck will cut out when you get low on fuel and turn sharp or ascend/descend a hill. You probably already knew this, but just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BigJohnson

Good point I didn't think about that. Yep I am going this route to get the baffles and eliminate the need for a surge tank. I figured if the parts were available and a bolt in deal why not. Plus I think in-tanks pumps are quiter, and last longer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I 2nd that with the baffle's. Somebody replaced the tank in My 87 and it doesn't have the baffles. I have no idea where the tank came from.

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure that the cheap tank has the baffles in the bottom. It may be cheap because it has none. If you run TBI without them your truck will cut out when you get low on fuel and turn sharp or ascend/descend a hill. You probably already knew this, but just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad is it without baffles? I've ordered an EFI upgrade kit, but I really hadn't planned on replacing my gas tank. I thought most people just installed an electric pump in the fuel line on the frame rail. I already have a return line, so I thought I was home free.

Why is it different with a carb vs. EFI?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine cuts out even with the factory tank, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif and it does have the baffles, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but then again, maybe i'm running it tooooo low? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'd go with the Suburban tank, just a little bit bigger, and is a 40 gallon tank, go for that big bill at fill ups like us with the Burbs do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what exactly is diff from EFI to carb tanks anyways ? why cant ou put EFI assembly into a carb tank or vice versa ?

also form everything i have seen and or read you want to try and always keep at 1/4 or more with an EFI vehicle, the pump is lubricated by the fuel only and if you run it low well then you run low on pump lubrication too and that is bad for the pump of course

good luck

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not so much lubrication, but it is a submerged pump, keeping fuel in the tank ensures that the pump is staying "cool" in the fuel. A constantly hot pump will burn out real quick. Same for Diesel engines/fuel tanks.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also form everything i have seen and or read you want to try and always keep at 1/4 or more with an EFI vehicle, the pump is lubricated by the fuel only and if you run it low well then you run low on pump lubrication too and that is bad for the pump of course

[/ QUOTE ]

that is with the stock pump and it is cooled by the fuel, but could be lubricated also /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the aftermarket pumps (inline) are not cooled by the fuel running throught them, but by the air around them

the diff between the tank AFAIK is the baffel, to keep fuel around the sender

10. BigJohnson

Will the Burb 40gal tank fit? I think the deminsions are the same except for the height and that difference is only a few inches. If it will fit I might as well get the 40gal. That should put my mileage on one fill up to...I don't know say 200 miles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. BigJohnson

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know several people with TBI swaps and non-baffled tanks and they have no major problems. BUT if you run it low and make a hard turn or you are climbing a hill it will starve the pump and it sometimes will not re-prime until you have a fair amount of gas in the tank.

Here is a site that has a cheap surge tank filter combo. Look under fuel system for filter/accumulator. I don't think it would have a large capacity but it would probably help. I also think you could make one yourself for cheap. You could probably rob a diesel firewall mounted filter setup and modify it. If you look at their diagram they are running two pumps low and high pressure. I think the best way to do this on a Blazer is to use your mechanical pump as the low pressure side and pump into the filter/accumulator and then put a external high pressure pump on the other side. Then you have an effective surge tank/filter.

OR....you could just try to always have more than 1/4 tank. That is the most simple approach but I am anal and want the baffles and in-tank combo.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That is one thing i have learned from experience when i go wheelin, i always fill up the tank before i go, i have been in situations where i started runnin around half a tank or so and when i started climbing up a hill it would starve out and die, well once i had to climb the hill to get out of the area, so i had to do it in reverse /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Thats fun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i like that idea, too bad my cam doesnt have a fuel pump lobe. i really dont like the idea of having to mount a fuel pump under the truck.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I bought a cheap jobber tank (31-gallon) for $120CDN and it had baffles. Its application specific. Make sure you ask for one for an 87-91 K5 and its baffled.

Maybe a 40-gallon fits under a longbox. The tank is 36" long... 6" longer than the K5 tank. There was only enough room for a 31-gallon under my 1-ton shortbox. Even so, I had to remove the passenger side shock /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Same here. Mine has stalled on steep hills a couple times (usually some bouncing is involved also), but the tank was a low on fuel. As long as I fill up, I can wheel at 2 or 3 days without a problem. My jeep has a stock tank, inline electric pump and TBI motor, and no break tank.