Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI tech, cool

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by ryan22re, Jun 9, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

:D Now we are talking.

Which is better speed density or mass airflow?

Discuss.

2. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Mass airflow gets my vote! Easier to tune more tolerant of things like cam,lsa etc... If a cam has a lope to it, which it should IMO then it's going to cause havoc for speed density.

Kelvin

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im definetly a fan of mass air...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

OBD1, speed density.

It's a more capable system, a MAP sensor is about 1/3 the cost of a MAF (which you can't find good ones of anymore BTW) and intake tract routing is easier.

Even MAF will not work optimally with engine mods. Mines pretty darn mild (considering) and still needs tuning.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally like my MAF setup but I don't think that a SD system is much better or much worse. It depends on your situation. I don't know exactly how my motor is built so having a MAF system worked out very well for me. If I knew what the specs of my motor were and had the time & money to have some custom chips burned then I would probably have went with the SD system.

The nice part about having the MAF setup though is that I can swap to SD if I feel like it. If you have an SD system you are stuck with an SD system.

They are both good for there own reasons. They are both large improvemnts over carbs.

Harley

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm personally a speed density fan :)

MAF does allow for some minor changes (exhaust, very mild cam) without prom changes, but its only like a 10% difference, and even then, its tempting to just kinda get it close enough, and call it good.

SD is more sensitive, but it forces you to get your tune right on, which provides optimum performance :D

Less electronics associated as well!

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'm a speed density guy too. Maf's just seem to be an expensive part that can fail. Although, it wouldn't keep you stranded as most maf engines usually have a map, and go into limp home, running off the map. But that kind of makes you wonder, why have the maf then? Plus they don't like water/mud/dust getting on the heating elements, soooo....I don't really think they belong on a truck.

8. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

speed density gets my vote, less worries with the intake routing becasue not haveing to worry about a MAF sensor, Speed density also has a better computer making it easier to tune