Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI upgrade Question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PaloAlto_K5, May 23, 2005.

1. PaloAlto_K5

PaloAlto_K5 Registered Member

Just wanted to get an opinion.

I am thinking about upgrading my '78 with the EDL-3500 Edelbrock Performer RPM Pro-Flo EFI Systems Multi-Port Fuel Injection, Performer RPM, Speed Density, 1,000 cfm, Chevy, Small Block, Kit from Summit. Any opinions, cautions, warnings??

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds cool,,, i don't know any one that isrunning one although i am sure some one on this board does.

factory set-ups work fine & there are cheaper aftermarket set-ups out there, they are not as fancy though

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1000CFM is going to be way overkill, unless of course that's all you can get.

As was mentioned, stock setups work good (TBI, MAP or MAF TPI) but you'll be getting your hands dirty installing those. Good thing though, you'll know what is what.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've just put a '90 TBI set up and motor in my '78. Hard work but it's great!

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Burt4x4 just finished getting his truck running with a BBC using the same EFI setup. You do realize that you will have to visit the referee the first time for a smog check then after that any smog shop can smog it.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You might also want to check out the vendor forum, there is a place that specializes in remanufactured OEM systems. Comparable prices, but might be easier to smog than an aftermarket setup.

7. PaloAlto_K5

I am not too worried about smogging it, this is by no means my daily driver, this is my toy, if she needs to become a trailer queen, more power to her!! :D

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am running the 3503 on my Jimmy and have ALOT of power at my control with the PRO FLO EFI. I am VERY impressed witht he setup. Any specific questions, post up or PM me and I will answer. I just finished my swap about a month or so ago.
    I considered the 3500 as well but in the end went withthe 3503, figuring the 1000cfm would be overkill. The 750 is suiting me just fine and I aam running a mild 350.

BTW I looked around for a while considering other options other than the "COSTLY" Pro Flo setup and all in all when you compare features of each set up, tuneability, and ease of maintenance, the pro flo came out on top every time. In the end cost won and compared to what some setups are out there it was the better choice, not the cheapest but the better by far.

9. PaloAlto_K5

Thanks for the info, I will look into the 3503 also, besides it's a bit less $$ than the 3500!!

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you looked at Accel's DFI? I know it's not a "complete kit" but it is pretty nice if you don't mind some do-it-yourself action.

Since Edelbrock's MPFI is more than two grand... have you contemplated switching to a late model motor such as an LS1 or LS2?