Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EFI vs. Carb 350 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Been a while since I posted guys. This is a legit question, so follow me even if it's a bit trite. I'm planning on taking out the 305 in my 72 K5 perhaps this spring or upcoming summer, and replacing it with a 350 (provided I have the funding of course). Given that carbs are now so efficent, is there much difference between and EFI 350 (and would such a model even be compatiable with a 72 K5) and a carberated 350. Just wondering. I'll likely get a used carbed 350 engine as it is more affordable, but I just thought I'd see if there is any feedback regarding a comparison between the two. Also, did I hear correctly that the pre-76 engines had a stronger casting than later model castings? Thanks guys.

Marc

2. 76bronco

76bronco Registered Member

here are my thoughts. i had a 79 f250 that had a efi 460 swapped in. while it was nice to have it start right up on cold mornings and get 14 to 15 mpg those were the only good things i found with it. with my bronco im going to keep it carbed because id rather be able to fix what ever miner problems i have out on the trail. i dont have to worry about sensors taking a dump on me with a carb.

3. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I currently run a carb'd (Edelbrock)350 in my '76 K-5... I love the idea I can fix it quickly in a pinch and as you say no sensors and stuff to go bad.. However I have put in the off-road needle seats and at step down angles the engine still stumbles...This I don't like cuz now I have to ride the brake a keep a foot on the throttle to keep it running.. this is not good /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so the debate rolls on...
    I still haven't made a decision yet.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 76bronco

76bronco Registered Member

believe it or not ive seen the most impressive things out of a quadra-jet equipped vehicle. damn vehicle stayed running even after he dumped it on its side...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    believe it or not ive seen the most impressive things out of a quadra-jet equipped vehicle. damn vehicle stayed running even after he dumped it on its side...

[/ QUOTE ]I can attest to the Q-jet, my edel performer stays running on some pretty steep inclines.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

EFI can't be beat for efficient power and driveability, there is NO question. If it could, we'd still be buying new carbed cars and trucks, and we aren't. You don't build 300HP 350CID motors (net, not gross!) that run on 87 octane, get 25MPG, have a warranty, with a carb.

If you want to compare, look at the HP ratings of the 350's in the 1980's and now. If you want to ignore the other tehcnological advances (head differences, bore/stroke changes) look at the late 80's early 90's Camaro's. Those could be had with carb, TBI, and TPI. Look at which made more power in all cases.

There are multiple inherent differences that make EFI better, but there are always downsides...few more sensors, more wiring, have to learn a different system, and initial cost. Other than that, carbed reliability vs. EFI is a joke IMO, there are just as many people that can't tune or keep the "simpler" carb (according to some) running correctly as there are that have EFI problems.

However, the argument injection vs. carb is just as debatable as politics and manual vs. automatic transmissions. Whatever you decide makes you happy, go with it.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

First let me say that I run a carb, but also have had TBI and MPFI vehicles. I am not convinced that a carb setup is simpler or more reliable. Consider the following:

-When is the last time your carb TOLD you what was wrong with it (EFI sometimes does!)

-The 87TBI Chevy is simpler underhood than the 86 carbed Chevy (spagetti mess of vacuum hoses, anyone?)

-You can take a FI vehicle to a mechanic (if you're out of town or desperate or something). It's hard to find a shop that works on carbs anymore.

-It is getting easier to find PCMs, throttle bodies and sensors in junkyard than Carbs.

-Do chokes ever give perfect performance over all temperatures and operating conditions?

There. That's my .02

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First let me say that I run a carb, but also have had TBI and MPFI vehicles. I am not convinced that a carb setup is simpler or more reliable. Consider the following:

-When is the last time your carb TOLD you what was wrong with it (EFI sometimes does!)[ QUOTE ]

If you carbed motor stops, its either a fuel problem or a spark problem, can narrow that down in about 30 seconds. Theres also not awhole lot that you can do to a carb that will make not get you home.

[ QUOTE ]
    -The 87TBI Chevy is simpler underhood than the 86 carbed Chevy (spagetti mess of vacuum hoses, anyone?)[ QUOTE ]

How many people still run all the emissons equipment, and cheap vacum hoses, I dobut theres many on this board with a stock down to the oe carb and vacum hoses truck.

"-You can take a FI vehicle to a mechanic (if you're out of town or desperate or something). It's hard to find a shop that works on carbs anymore."[ QUOTE ]

Not to be a dick but if you own a carbed vechicle, you should have at least a basic understanding of how to work on it

[ QUOTE ]
    -It is getting easier to find PCMs, throttle bodies and sensors in junkyard than Carbs.[ QUOTE ]

And with hadvent of the internet you can buy a carb brand new and have it shipped to your house and you dont even have to take it off a crushed rusty heap

[ QUOTE ]
    -Do chokes ever give perfect performance over all temperatures and operating conditions?[ QUOTE ]

No, does fuel injection?

[ QUOTE ]
    There. That's my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just my .02 also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Now about all this. I can tell you that i have had more trouble and been stranded more times with my carbed truck(Ignition module) then with my tbi one.Between timming having to be set, choke sticking(or not working), constant carb tunning, and wandering why it was running bad one day and not the next. The TBI had a belly ache one day(check ingin light on too) took it down and had them put the scaner on it and it said the 02 sensor was bad problem solved. ANd additionally. I have not had a "bad" sensor on it sence i replaced the O2 sensor god knows how long ago. I hate starting my carbd truck after it sets for more than a day, but my tbi fired right up after setting for over 5 months( no pumping the gas and cranking over and over.) So all this about how you cant work on a EFI truck or that carbs will never let you down is un founded. now that is MY .02 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif