Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR crucial to ECM?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 1, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

How important is the EGR valve to proper functionality in the ECM? Mine is bad and it's vacuum line has been plugged now for several days. It doesn't seem to care. Since there is no way that AZ is going to let me tag this thing anyway, I'm thinking it might be better just to block it off and call it done forever more.

On another note, who the heck came up with the design on that stupid thing? Why is it that smog junk is always odd-ball, hard to work on, and invariably in the way? Both nuts are completely buried by the diaphragm and access from the side is blocked by the TBI and a whole rack of sensors/solenoids. Looks like I'll have to pretty much strip the top of the motor just to remove those two @#$# @#$# nuts to replace that thing. I generally don't subscribe to conspiracy theories but, I swear, this smog stuff fits the bill. Difficult to maintain/test without specialized tools, smog laws that have absolutely no basis in reality or real benefit, etc. You could have far less emissions than the car in the next bay but, if you don't have a functional widget, you fail and they pass. What a load.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bagged mine last year. Same prob, it has a vac leak. I put tape over the end of the EGR and the carb side too and put the vac line back on. The inspection place has no idea and it passed last week.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    With no vac source the EGR will never open. It may seem self contradictary but you may actually be producing less power running closed all the time. EGR also helps cut down on engine knock so if you start having knock problems repair the EGR. The introduction of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber reduces tems by 500 deg. So if you have a boarderline overheater(or live in az) this might be a factor as well

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

EGR is a good thing, just fix it. By introducing inert gas into the engine, you cool the cylinders and are able to conserve fuel.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. BadDog

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I'll fix it.

Russ

6. BadDog

Hmm, I wonder if my EGR acting up (causing periodic really bad stumble) could be the result of my missing VSS?

Russ