Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR delete

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Element, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make a prefab EGR block-off plate for the '87+ 350s? Already ditched the air system on the truck, and I want to get rid of the EGR system, also.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WND-9007&autoview=sku

Not sure if that is 100% right. Personally I just cut the valve off at the base and welded the holes shut to make my own block off.

That said, not a big fan of EGR deletion. It really gains you no power. Only thing it can do is clean up the engine bay(which it requires 1 vacuum line so no big gain there), and somewhat reduce carbon buildup in the engine over extended time. Its one of those emissions things that when it is functioning properly, really has no adverse effect in the power production world.

Of course, I already removed the EGR pipe and valve from the 02 5.3L going in our Firebird. But thats mostly about cleaning up the look of the engine bay.

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

For that price, I'll make one of my own. Have plenty of sheet steel in the garage I can use.

I want to get rid of mine not for power or anything (both EGR and air system are gone from my Trans Am, due to long tubes and LS6 intake swap, but other than a code and no air valve tap, I didn't gain anything from it), but to see if the engine will run a bit better without it on. A new EGR valve is about $45 from Advanced Auto, and if I put it on and the truck doesn't run any better, I can't return the part.