Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR on a TBI Engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Apr 11, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If I plug it and render it useless will it have any affect? I know on a carb engine it won't hurt but not sure on a TBI engine.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I considered this at one time when I was having trouble with my initial TBI setup. Had all sorts of weird problems that seemed to be associated with the EGR. Disabling the EGR fixed ‘er right up.

General feedback that I got from those here that know TBIs is that the EGR helps reduce cylinder temps and disabling it will actually cause efficiency problems in closed loop due to the ECM trying to correct. At least that is what I remember of the conversation thread. Anyway, net result is that everyone said to leave it on and fix the problem, which is what I did...

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Bought the only insight I can give you is that when mine had gone bad and got plugged, my truck ran pretty sour, actually it was RICH. My back bumper turned black and my miliage went to nothing.. It cost me about $25 to get a new one with some new vacuum line and things are much happier.

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Taking off an EGR will also result in pinging with low octane fuels (less than 89 octane) in some engines.

I had a '90 Olds Cutlass with the 2.5L TBI engine. Pulled off the EGR to see what it would do (it was bad anyways), and the thing wouldn't run right on anything lower than 92 octane. 87 octane would sometimes ping while idling!

Needless to say, I fixed it quickly.