Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR problems on a 94 S-10 Blazer with 4.3 CPI

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 8, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

My brother owns a 94 S-10 blazer with about 170k miles on it. Yes, I know these things are very problematic but thats why we're trying to sell it. Anyway, about 4 months ago his SES light came on and when I did the diagnostic check it came out as an EGR problem. So I pulled off the EGR valve and cleaned it out real good and sprayed some carb cleaner in it (don't worrry this the electronically controlled kind so there is no rubber diaphram to worry about). Then I put it all back together and it ran fine. Today he gets home and says the SES light came on and it instantly began to idle poorly. Did the diagnostic check and low and behold, its the EGR again. So I pulled off the intake plenum and took out the EGR valve. It still looks fairly clean and the little valve end with the torx bit hole moves back and forth smoothly. So my question is: How do I know if it needs a brand new valve or not? And is there a way to fix it because these things cost a fortune? I don't see how these things can go bad being that its just an electronic solenoid and no diaphram to worry about.

-On another note, does oil circulate between the intake plenum and intake manifold? Because there is oil residue all over there. Might have some leaky intake bolts and/or gaskets. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what code is it? p0401? p0402? egr insufficient flow??

post up the codes and i can try and help from there.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not sure about the EGR problem (other than it might not be responding to the commands from the computer). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But the oil on the intake is easily fixed. Some of the intake bolts thread into oiled areas inside. Remove the bolts closest to the leak, put a bit of sealer on the threads (I used Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 on mine), and reinstall the bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BayouBlazer88

its 3 flashes, pause, then 2 flashes. I'm guessing that's a code 32. thanks.

5. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    Some of the intake bolts thread into oiled areas inside. Remove the bolts closest to the leak, put a bit of sealer on the threads (I used Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 on mine), and reinstall the bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

-I can't tell which bolt(s) the leak is coming from, so can I just remove all the bolts (without removing the intake manifold) and reinstall them all with gasket sealer and retorque them?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To prevent possibly breaching the seal of the gaskets, I'd do one bolt at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif