Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Aug 31, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88' blazer 350 TBI and my check engine light came on so I did the diagnostic check which said it was my egr valve. So I opened up the haynes repair manual which said to push up on the egr diaphram while the engine is running and it should want to die, which it did. then it says to attach a vacuum gauge to the egr valve and check the vacuum. What is a vacuum gauge and where can I find one? Also, does anybody have any suggestions about parts that may need to be replaced? thanks.

Matt

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i'm not sure on what all to check, but you can pick up a vacuum gauge from most autoparts store, sears, or wherever. anyway, they are not that expensive, about $15-30 or so for a decent one.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What code are you getting?
    Assuming you are getting a code 32.
    The problem is probabally in the EGR solonid. This is located on the passenger side of the throttle body. it has a vacume line going into it and one going to the EGR valve. If the solonoid shorts out or has an open circut it will throw that code and light the "Check Engine"
    Also check all the vacume lines to make sure none are cracked or broken.

4. BayouBlazer88

Yeah it's a code 32. Also, I was told if the EGR isnt working properly, the idle won't be that great which it isn't. So should I go ahead and replace the EGR solenoid?

5. BayouBlazer88

Ok I just checked autozone, oreilly, and sears and none of them carry a vacuum guage (at least it doesnt show up in any part searches). So is there another name for this other than a vacuum gauge?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Before you replace anything. Pull the EGR valve off and clean it up good. it may just be stuck open. That will cause a bad idle.
    One way to check to see if the solonoid is working is to start the engine. Warm it up to operating temp bring up the RPMs to 1200- 1500 and hold it steady.. Pull the vacume line off the EGR valve. It should be getting vacume. if no vacume is present the solonoid is probabally bad.
    If it is getting vacume. Rev up the engine to 1500 rpm for a few seconds then drop it back down to idle. The EGR diaphram should move in and out. If it doesn't move the EGR valve is probabally bad or stuck.

make sure to check all the vacume lines for holes and breaks.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most stores have the vacuum gauges on the shelf, I was just at one the other day and saw them. Call a local speed shop instead of a chain store, you'll probably have better luck, especially if they are a good store.