Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Mar 11, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My '90 'Burb only gives off a code for the EGR....

On most starts, It is just running like crap, missing and sputtering. sometimes it goes away and runs fine. Sometimes shutting it off and restarting it will make it run good again....

What do you all think? A sticking valve, vacuum controler or???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most likely that the valve itself is sticking. You can remove it and check for carbon buildup and for smooth operation of the shaft. If there's a lot of carbon on the pintle and in the seat then you can try cleaning everything to see if that clears up the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But if the shaft doesn't operate smoothly then you'll probably have to pony up the cash for a new valve.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, it just doesn't seem right that this can make it run this crappy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I had this same problem last year. I checked the plunger in the EGER valve and was stuck, could not move it at all. I put a new one in and it ran great.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is what I wanted to hear.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you got the controler then don't rule that out. Had mine sticking. couple trops of tool oil in the ports and it's working good now.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I concur on testing before replacing.

Had a vehicle that almost ALWAYS ran like garbage. Stall after coming to a stop, idled bad, you name it.

Pulled the EGR (which did not operate smoothly) cleaned off all the carbon, and with no replacement parts, car ran perfectly.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, new controler, new valve, reset the computer, and still get the trouble code 32....

Any other ideas????

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Carboned up ports.

The way it trips the EGR code is it see a change in mixture value with the O2. It expects this change and when it doesn't see it is when the light trips. Takes about a mile of steady driving. So a plugged passage could trip it.
    I have hear you can cleane it with a fish with the EGR off nad a shop vac to keep any large chunks for getting sucked into the engine.