Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

egr soleniod unplugged fixes a cosistent stall?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, May 8, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

For some crazy reason my 90 k5 350 tbi was acting like it was getting sufficated after pressing the gas slightly and then letting off (in drive). It would stumble and almost stall, then it would come right back to normal idle. I canged the EGR vaccum sensor deal and same problem. I found that just leaving it un plugged (the vaccum line) made it run normal. Only I get a check engine light (EGR code) after running at highway speeds for more than 30-45 minutes. Does this mean I need EGR valve? any Ideas/ways to test the existing EGR?

Thanks

Jeremy

2. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Look in the Garage forum for "Finally got my rough idle/stall fixed" post. Someone had a similiar problem and it was the EGR solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah that was me...you posted while I was looking for the thread to link to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sounds like you have the same problem I had foxman

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=742114&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

something else to think about:

The new EGR solenoid had 2 ports on it...one had foam over it (like a little breather to keep dust out I guess) the other is for the vacuum line. Well, when I pulled my old one out, the little foam piece was missing and I'm pretty sure that the vacuum line was on that port instead. So my original solenoid may actually be good, but the line was on the wrong side. If yours is missing the foam, the side where the hose is supposed to go is "barbed" instead of smooth.