Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR valve $70.00!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Mar 16, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Schucks quoted me 72 bucks for new egr. is this right?!?!? mine is bad on my 90 burb causing hessitation off idle. anyone know a cheeper source?

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

That's about what I paid for mine.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a used one off my good running(lost a main bearing) 89 TBI 350, that ill sell you for a decent price.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Auto Zone wants $37 for mine, 89 350 TBI.

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Auto Zone wants $37 for mine, 89 350 TBI.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

wonder why the big price difference? damn, emision crap anyway. gotta have it though or the SES keeps coming on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Zactly what does the EGR do? I was chasing a vacuum leak and my mechanic buddy cut the hose and spliced it with a golf tee, thus blocking it off. Been that way for 2 yrs. I finally removed it last month.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

egr intoduces exhaust gases into the intake at part thottle. when the little spring in the egr wears out it opens too soon causing too much air in the intake at part throttle and therefore causing hessitation. egr is supposed to reduce cylider heat and pressure and reduces nitrous oxide in the exhaust which means less emisions. it all translates to a big P.I.A.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmm, well mines been out of service for 2 yrs and I have never had a problem at the emissions station as far as the EGR was concerned. I rebuilt the carb once cos I failed. Last time I went I asked about it and was told it isn't needed to pass emissions so I yanked it. I'd let you have it but the diaphragm is bad

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

if there is no vac signal to the egr it will stay closed. its when the egr is connected to a ported vac source and the egr spring is week it will open too soon and creat a sympom similare to vac leak or more air than fuel causeing a part throttle stimble. to test if your egr is bad just unhook the vac line and plug it and see if the bogging goes away.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

$70 is nothin....I just bought a little Mitsubishy Mighty Max truck for a dd...It needed a new EGR to pass smog...$123! Believe it or not.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Don't even replace it. Just make a blocking plate from some sheet metal and sandwitch it between the intake and the old EGR. If it fails smog then get a new one. This won't effect driveability.

12. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

If you do bypass the EGR valve you will increase the cylinder temperatures. This of course will cause detonation. But you won't notice if your knock sensor is working and retards your timing. But then you will have a slight reduction in performance and fuel economy.

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i'll probably get around to it. i don't like my ses light coming on, plus with gas at 2.02/ gal i can use all the economy i can get!

14. bigblock454

EGR is only for Emissions, maybe a very slight MPG, probably less than 0.5 MPG since you arn't burning the leftover gas in the exhaust. You won't notice performance because it isn't used (closed off) during full throttle. Why would it cause high cylinder temps?

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The main job of the EGR valve is lowering the combustion chamber temps at part throttle. This greatly lowers part throttle emissions (something not measured during an emissions test in most states) and best of all it reduces the tendency of the engine to ping at part throttle. This means you can run more spark advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The EGR valve is a good thing to have. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and best of all it reduces the tendency of the engine to ping at part throttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly why I'm replacing mine, it's pinging horribly.

17. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You won't notice performance because it isn't used (closed off) during full throttle. Why would it cause high cylinder temps?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Most people don't use full throttle most of the time. I'd guess that most driving is done at part throttle. The higher temps are caused by detonation. The reduction in performance and economy is due to the retarding of the timing (on TBI anyway) and the fact that you will use more accelerator to compensate for the retarded timing issue. The interesting thing is that most people will not notice, but they will get, say, 120,000 miles on their engine instead of 180,000 miles. My wifes '93 GMC has nearly 200,000 miles and it's still ticking along, with the EGR. But then, the sort of guy that would take off his EGR in the hopes of increasing his performance probably never got much more than 100,000 miles out of anything.

Word.
    Jeffro

18. bigblock454

Interesting I guess. But I still don't understand how introducing Very Hot exhaust gasses can reduce temperatures over indroducing ambient "outside" air. What is the actual science behind this?

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

someone smarter that me is going to have to drop some engine theory on this. it makes good sense to me but i can't seem to explain it very well. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It isn't the temp of the incoming gases that cool the combustion chamber temps. It's the type of gases that are in the exhaust. They lower the temp of the actual combustion process by a few hundred degrees when introduced into the intake. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's also a VERY small amount of gas that gets recirculated when the EGR valve opens. Search around on the web and I'm sure you can come up with the chemistry involved. Someplace like www.howstuffworks.com might be a good place to start. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif