Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR VALVE and EGR SOLENOID??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by letsrollusaf, Jun 24, 2005.

1. letsrollusaf

letsrollusaf Registered Member

Hey,

Well I was in deep into my project of putting new chrome valve covers on my 350 when I discovered a loose hose (which seemed to look like a vaccum hose). I didn't really think much of it only that maybe I accidently cracked it when ripping out old valve covers. I started the engine after project and holy crap was something wrong. Come to find out it wasn't really that hose but that I had my spark plug wires in wrong sequence on the distributor cap, so no biggie. My question though is could someone tell me what this thing is, and if its even important to my engine running smooth (it already runs like a champ). Here are some pictures of it. The hose runs from the EGR Valve and then into this unknown electrical board (its has the blue electrical connector going into it). My first thoughts were that it is the EGR Solenoid, but who knows. Maybe someone could be of help. Thanks alot guys.
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41a96fd6z2be5c53c/a703/__sr_/f7da.jpg?phfRBvCBCnodu5eY
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41a96fd6z2be5c53c/a703/__sr_/1011.jpg?phfRBvCBriVhZ.Sp
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41a96fd6z2be5c53c/a703/__sr_/aad7.jpg?phfRBvCB9GJH9xWe

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like your EGR solenoid to me (pics don't work) Your truck will run fine without the EGR hooked up so long as you don't have any vaccum leaks anywhere. It will turn the SES light on once the engine gets up to temp, and it will not be able to run as much timing in the top end as it otherwise would be able to :) If your EGR works properly, leave it in there, if it doesn't work, then make it work. EGR doesn't rob your engine of any power what so ever, if anything, it increases your high end power by letting you run more timing by leaning the mixture out with exhaust gases. It also helps with emissions as a nice side effect. I personally shake my head when people take an EGR off their truck or car just cause it is technically an emissions system, lol

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:whistle: :whistle: Pics dont work Or I could help ya

4. letsrollusaf

letsrollusaf Registered Member

Well got to OReilly's and got a new EGR Solenoid (found out thats what it was) and now i'm all set and everything works fine. I just changed the valve covers and it was a *itch and a half. There are so many AC lines and brakets in the way its ridiculous. My next project is new Roller Rockers, Pushrods, Valve springs , and a new cam. Just from my first experience on the valve covers I know any future upgrade modification is going to be another *itch and a half if not more. Thanks alot for you your help though! :-)