Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

egr valve disconnected

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudRebel350, Jul 16, 2000.

1. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my truck disconnected the egr valve. The egr itself has some sort of stuff inside the hole to plug it where the vacuum line goes on. The vacuum line has a screw in the end of it and the solenoid is plugged probably with the same crap thats in the egr. Every now and then the ecm throws a code 32 at me cause its not getting vacuum from the egr. So i disconnect the battery to clear out the code and it wont come back for awhile. The engine doesnt get hot at all, never has reached 210 even when towing a 2500lbs hayblower for landscaping. It doesnt ping either, it mite be because i use 93 octane gas. My question is, should I go and fix this mess or does anyone know why this was done to it, for a reason?

2. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

If you still have the rest of the emissions hooked up then you ought to replace the EGR . Your computer needs to have everything functioning properly....without it you might be running a little off especially at idle. Then again if you do not have the rest of the emmissions it should not make a differance

3. MudRebel350

Can anyone help me with this one? Come on guys, I thought you were better than this only one guy was nice enough to put in his 2 cents.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I had this same thing come up, To EGR or not to EGR...Put on a new one and re connect it..it is doing more harm than good having the thing disconnected and having all of the other emissions equipment hooked up. ESPECIALLY in a computer controlled vehicle! If the dude tried to remove some of the emissions and not all of them it.................it dont matter in a computer controlled vehicle hook it all back up..it will run better!

5. MudRebel350

That is the only emission thing that is screwed with. I think i can drill out the [censored] that is cloggin the egr and solenoid. If not How much is a new one?

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what your restriction is, but some gm egrs did have restricters in them to control the vacuum. I would be a little leary of just unclooging it. replace it and clean out the passages. get a quality egr valve. ac/delco.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!