Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR valve question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

on my '89 TBI K5 is it necessary for me to run an EGR valve? I live in Mississippi and there is no emmission testing. isn't there like a little plate or something i can get to cover the hole in my intake also, and what about the little vacuum line that runs to the solenoid or whatever?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is not bothering anything running it , no REAL AND TELLING performance to really be gained by removing it , your just reburning unburnt gas from the exhaust :xmas:

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

ok cool, that's all i needed, thanks

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you will pollute the atmosphere with nox. Something we are trying to eliminate.

And you might see some detonation without an EGR.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its right in the way!

I had to remove the one on the 86 305 I put in my 79 C10 so the edelbrock carb would bolt on--even with the adapter plate to make it fit the stock intake it was right in the way..mine had an iron spacer under it,i simply traced its outline onto a peice of sheet metal and bolted the spacer back on over it(you need shorter bolts or washers)and it seems to run ok without it. I'd have prefered to leave it on so it wont be as prone to spark knock(and the computer and knock sensor on the motor are disabled as well,since its in a non computer truck)--but I would have had to scrounge a Q-jet up,I already had the edelbrock carb,so I used what I had...since my truck is also emission exempt,I dont need it for any "visual" inspection--the catalitic converter is no longer on it either--it was flooded with oil when the old motor blew,so I didnt trust it,fearing it might be clogged...:crazy: