Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR valve question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Blazernga, Apr 8, 2001.

1. 85Blazernga

85Blazernga Registered Member

I have gone through my plugs, wires, and tried to adjust my Q-Jet as best as possible. I am still having a little problem with a rough idle. ALso, after the truck is warmed up, I try to re-crank it and it takes a minuite or two to turn over. I don' have that problem when it is cold. The choke is operating properly so I don't think it is that.
    Now, here is my question. I have read in my Haynes manual how to check the EGR valve. It tells you to go to a cold motor and try to push up the valve through the bottom of the assembly. If it moves, it is good. If it is stuck, no good. Mine isn't moving. Could this improve my warm-crank? Can this improve my rough idle? Oh yea, there isn't any roughness to the motor when I am trucking down the road. Thanks for your Help!

GSB
    Forever #3!!

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I dont know if it will help... but my idle dropped about 200 rpm with the new one so It probably would help a bit...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

3. 85Blazernga

My idle is already low in the condition it is in.

GSB
    Forever #3!!

4. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Are you runnin with headers? History of headers being so close to the starter that the heat will eventually ruin the starter.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

5. 85Blazernga

I don't have a problem with the starter and no I am not running headers.

GSB
    Forever #3!!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the EGR isn't working, fix it. It can't hurt. Whether it cures that problem or not, SOMETHING else isn't working optimally without it.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>