Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

egr valve wont fit with edlebrock valve covers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jun 15, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

my new engine has a nice set of high valve covers, and im going to put the egr valve on, but it wont fit. do they sell one that sits higher to clear tha valve covers?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Nope, they sell an adapter to move it, also required with AFB style carbs so EGR doesn't hit carb , look in the Edelbrock cataloque ( online also at Edelbrock ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i just called them and he said the adapter would make it worse.

jeez. nothings ever easy. lol

4. pauly383

I may not be remembering right then, sorry . There is always stacking several stock spacers on top of each other and getting longer bolts . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

where would i get spacers? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. pauly383

Many stock vehicles had those, and two gaskets. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Seems that everything Edelbrock needs an adapter.
    I have the Edelbrock 3701 intake it needs the egr adapter with the stock rocker covers with the Edelbrock Short Rocker covers.
    This goes along with all the adapters to make the carb work with my A/C, 700R transmission. Crap almost forgot the adapter for the cruise control. Crap again, forgot the adapter for the carb to manifold.

The only Edelbrock part left on the engine now is the intake. The shelf in my garage sure looks pretty with all that shiny aluminum up there.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe they should re-name the company to Adapt-abrock!. I know how you feel--the EGR valves on my two vehicles that came with one required their removal,I made a block off plate.Some vehicles will ping bad enough to hurt things without them though,then you have to retard the timing and suffer some power loss--mine doesnt ping,guess I got lucky.
    Its a pain when nothing just bolts on,and you need all those special dewhickies they only sell at speedshops open only when you work--and when you sneak there at lunch hour,of course they dont have it,gotta order it and wait,make two trips--isnt this fun! This is why as I get older--factory parts look better all the time.Sometimes I wonder if all this "high performance" stuff is any "higher" than chevy made it themselves!. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. pauly383

I looked at some pics of the adapter I had thought may work. It rotates the EGR back towards the rear of the manifold a hair over 90 degrees, but it still looks like it will touch valve covers. May have to stack some spacers anyway, or cut and drill a piece of stock. Look at some Chevy passenger cars/trucks in yards and some of them came with a short spacer between valve and intake. I am assuming your 86 has the older style triangle base EGR here. I know the TBI intakes take a different EGR valve. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe they should re-name the company to Adapt-abrock!. I know how you feel--the EGR valves on my two vehicles that came with one required their removal,I made a block off plate.Some vehicles will ping bad enough to hurt things without them though,then you have to retard the timing and suffer some power loss--mine doesnt ping,guess I got lucky.
    Its a pain when nothing just bolts on,and you need all those special dewhickies they only sell at speedshops open only when you work--and when you sneak there at lunch hour,of course they dont have it,gotta order it and wait,make two trips--isnt this fun! This is why as I get older--factory parts look better all the time.Sometimes I wonder if all this "high performance" stuff is any "higher" than chevy made it themselves!. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] And some people get mad at me for calling it Edelcrap. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. pauly383

I admit most companies get worse as they get bigger, including Edelbrock, and I see it everyday with Maytag at work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If only Chevrolet stuck a passage in the intake and put the EGR behind the carb , and the vacuum fitting in that spot on the side. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if you could use a ford style egr valve plate,that goes between the carb and intake- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif-dont know if a gm valve would bolt up to it though--or if a ford egr would work,there are so many different types?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.I prefer to block them off,unless emission rules prevent it--no smog test here if its 15 years or older,now you know why all my trucks are dinosoars! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. pauly383

Doesn't the Ford style have a passage for EGR in the intake running to the carb mounting plate ( I don't really know Ford , but seems logical for it to work that way ) ? I don't think a chevy intake would work with one of those, as the EGR gasses wouldn't run to the carb plate. It would work as a visual though, if the smog attendant didn't know any better /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif