Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR Valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Would a 76 C-20 with a 350 have one???????
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Does the sticker with hose routing on your truck under the hood on the radiator cover thingy show one ? I thought it depended on GVWR of truck whether it had cats or not, but they still had egr , especially for Cali . I am gonna search myself , I am curious now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

Just look on your intake manifold, I wouldnt think it has one, my 75 didnt!!

Ken /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is no sticker on the radiator support or under the hood any where for that matter. The GVWR is listed at 7,500. From what I'm hearing the 1/2 tons had EGRS but not the 3/4 tons. I still want to know for sure.

5. pauly383

Perhaps since you are in Cali, you could ask the "referee station" . I always heard that term when Hot Rod or some other mag was smogging a car . Doesn't California have those places to tell you what you need to pass ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just look on your intake manifold,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well thats the problem. I'm not %100 sure that it is the right intake. Some one just threw in a junkyard motor to sell it so I'm not sure it has the correct intake. I have a fresh 350 to put in it I just need to make sure the intake is correct or not. BTW the intake thats on it now is a NON EGR intake.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hell I have no ideal /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I haven't had to get a smog test done in like 12 years. I live where You only need to smog a vehicle when You first put license on a vehicle. The only vehicles I have bought in the last 12 years were from dealers and the always took care of it for Me.

8. pauly383

So do you need to know just to know, or are you trying to license said truck ?

I am still gonna find out somehow as I like to know as much as I can find out /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I still need to know so that I can get it licensed. I bought the truck about 6 months ago and have a new 350 to put in it.

10. pauly383

So far I found a PDF file with factory numbers listed for EGR valves. I see 305's in those years would have one , actually listed a C20 with a 305. I did not see a C20 listed as a 350 with EGR. I will look some more, I love searching for this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Where do You find this stuff? I sure would like to be able to get a compleat schematic for the smog/vacuume diagram.

12. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Where do You find this stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do searches on various internet search sites . Google is most popular , but there are alternatives out there , like www.metacrawler.com, which has way less ads on it and after typing in what you want has a side bar to refine your searches based on what you typed, like if you search for chevy truck, it knows to show parts and forums etc as refined search options /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The 1978 400 small block in my plow truck was from a 1978 suburban K10--it has no egr factory,the suburban was listed on the sticker at the radiator support as"non-catalyst",GVW was 6000 lbs.First one I'd seen that late in the 70's,especially in a half ton truck,that had no egr valve.The suburban was all original,the manifold is a quadrajet spread bore cast iron one,looks same as the pre 1972 ones W/O egr. You may be able to look up the intake manifold number online. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. pauly383

Did that manifold had hot air choke though ? The early 70's ones had divorced choke if I remember right /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I ditched the quadrajet in favor of a carter AFB I got at a swap meet for 15 bucks,and I used the required adaptor to fit the stock manifold--I gave the carb to a friend last year,I dont recall for sure but I think it had electric choke--I dont recall the manifold having the hot air tube setup-I'll have to look at it tomorrow!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif