Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR Valve`

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, Jun 6, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Okay. I'm trying to finish up my new engine(91`), However the throttlebody is hitting the EGR valve. So do i need the egr valve? Or is there a way to keep the TBI from hitting it.?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are EGR "spacers", I believe some are factory, but this may or may not work in your case. As I recall, the spacers were used at least on carbed vehicles, where the EGR mounting surface was at an angle, so the EGR was not only moved up, but "out", away from the valve covers and carb.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

TBI on a carbed EGR intake ? You could use a spacer like Dorian mentioned , Edelborck lists one , p/n I can't remember , but should be in their catalogue on website . :k5: :k5:

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Using the stock computer and sensors? If not, and it's an aftermarket TBI unit, you can block off the egr and bypass the circuit. More info is needed on your set up. If you need the EGR, try a spacer, or call the dealer and find out what EGR valve you need. There are many different kinds for GM vehicles.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have seen the one for older intakes with a triangular bolt pattern , and I have seen the one for tbi , with a 2 bolt kinda rectangular base . And I think the vortec ones were different . Were there different ones on small blocks in the 70's and early to mid 80's ??

Case being , my 76 Laguna , 78 Monte , 83 Blazer , buddy's 84 Monte , friends 85 Blazer , and the intake I found in the trunk of my Chevelle all took the same LOOKING EGR valve . Only think I can see different on older intakes was maybe on the inside of the valve .

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My late 80's early 90's combo of TPI stuff also used a "rectangular base" EGR, but as mentioned, there are a bunch of different styles. :( Positive backpressure, negative, with temp switch, without, etc.

If your EGR has a temp switch in it, then you need it. If it doesn't, then you should be fine without it.

EGR hurts nothing when properly working, removal is your call. It helps the environment and SHOULD help economy.

7. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Okay. Heres my set up. 350 with holley intake and TBI. THe egr is a triangular pattern with 2 bolts.