Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGR valve ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Aug 18, 2005.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

a while back I replaced the EGr on my jimmy becuase any time I ran on the hwy for 20 min or so the check engine light would come on. If i ran it for long period of time 1 hr or more it would die when I stoped and idled. I dont remember exactly what trrouble code it was throwing but it had something to do with egr so I replaced it. now it is doing the same thing

any Ideas

the vacume line that hooks up to it is not hooked up right now, or before. When its pluged in it runs like sh!t... real rich

thanks

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

did you try just leaving the hose unattatched and let it breath fresh air?

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Check and see if the truck is throwing a code 32... egr fault...
    1)test egr... replace if bad
    2)test egr control... replace if bad
    3)test ecm wiring ... fix if fault
    4)check ecm...

now this is for tbi/computer controlled trucks
    if yours isnt then
    vacuum test the egr
    check 02 sensor

this is just a start but Im flying blind without knowing the codes.... a obd1 tester is cheap... and that will help lead you to the correct cause

cam

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is possible to have it go bad quickly. I replaced my EGR with a NAPA unit and it went bad in less than a year. If it is your EGR, spring for the $100 OEM unit from the dealer. They have a better warranty too. Normally I would steer you as far away from the dealer as possible, but in this case, it's the only way to go IMO.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How does the TBI EGR even know that it's working right or not enough to throw a code? I thought TBI EGR (truck anyways) is not computer controlled at all? Is there a temp switch somewhere in the EGR circuit?

Gotta know whats in the circuit before you can delve into possible causes. I'm asking because I don't really know! If it can throw an EGR code, there must be something in the circuit monitoring EGR somehow.

Edit: And a better option than the dealer is to get the part number from them, and order it from gmpartsdirect.com. My local dealer is not a friend, that's for sure. I won't even bother calling them anymore, because I know they can't get close to GMPD's prices.