Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EGT on Banks turbocharger for 6.2 L diesel, was New diesel dually,

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by azblazor, Oct 20, 2003.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8290

Well, we bought it. If anybody has a Banks on a 6.2 I would be interested in knowing what your EGTs are, when pulling hard up hill. Maybe a better question would be how high do you let them get?
    Thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: New diesel dually, how high EGTs?

This is taken from Banks' website:

"So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things start to get edgy. EGTs of 1350º to 1400º F. usually can be run for short spurts of less than minute or two, but it’s not recommended. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you’re gambling against a stacked deck and it’s only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be.

As we pointed out earlier, high EGTs are the result of too much fuel for the available air. If you see EGTs climbing over 1300º F., the fastest way to reduce the amount of fuel going to the engine is to back off the accelerator pedal. Another possible solution is to downshift if your speed permits it. For example, while the engine might be capable of producing enough power to pull the load in fifth gear at high EGTs, running in fourth gear at lower EGTs is definitely easier on the engine as long as the engine’s RPM red line is not exceeded. "

Hope that helps.
    I needed to know too so I did the research for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. azblazor

Thanks. I do think those numbers seem a little high but they do make the thing. Some people on the dieselpage say let up at 1100. Which is where this truck likes to run whith any throttle. The guy put on a rebuilt fuel injection pump, injectors, timing chain and gears, and has turned up the pump. So.....just fishing for real world numbers from people with a banks turbo 6.2. I would like to hear from somebody who runs their EGTs up that high regularly.

4. azblazor

I have received a couple of emails and read my owners manual. It looks like 1100 is MAX!!! As in if it hits 1100 back off and try to stay 1050 or under. So my new rule of thumb will to be 1000 under "normal" driving. I do have the original manual if anybody wants specific info in the future. I am going to change the Subject also for future searching.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Where are we sampling exhaust temp? The Banks article mentions turbine inlet. I wonder if some of the lower temps where taken from the turbine outlet or downpipe? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. azblazor

The Banks setup comes with the Pyrometer at the inlet to the Turbo. The limiting factors are the factory pistons according to this gentleman who emailed me. I'll enclose some of the text:

AZblazor, I am not a member of ColoradoK5 but was browsing and hate to see somebody fry an engine. The info on the Banks website is for new engines such as the Powerstroke and Cummins. For the 6.2L Banks recommends 1050* according to their manual for the sidewinder.
    With a 6.2L the limiting factor is pistons. They are cast aluminum and melt at around 1200*F. By 1100*F they are getting a little soft and mushy. 1050*F is as high as I would want to safely push one for any length of time. I kept my 220,000 mile banks turbo'd 6.2L to a max of 950*F (pre turbo pyro mount) when pulling a heavy load up a hill. This past summer I built a new engine for my 1985 truck using a 2003 AM General 6.5L shortblock as the base. It has the newer hard anodized pistons which don't start to melt until 1350-1400*. When I disassembled my old 6.2L to rebuild the heads, I found no evidence of any piston damage. So 1050*F is probably a relatively safe temp. I certainly wouldn't increase your fuel rate if you are seeing 1100*. Not worth the risk.
    James

7. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

AZBlazor

Well, I suspected it and now it's confirmed... you are the guy that outbid me at the last second for that truck, darn it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The internet connection was so slow over here in Iraq that I had no chance to react either! Funny thing though as if I am not mistaken you have that blazer in the Glendale area with the chalet camper on it, I think it was a cream color when I saw it a couple years ago and we talked at Checker's on 43rd and Olive. Well, I must say, congratulations and I am certainly glad that it went to a good home! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just picked up a 76 GMC 3/4t crew cab 4x4 that was over in Mesa and will be my project when I get home in April. I'm leaning towards a Cummins 5.9/nv5600 or nv4500 depending on price and availability. I'm even trying to pick up a divorced np205 to make it even easier by finding a wrecked 2wd dodge. I don't post often, but I sure read a lot in these forums and I thank everyone here for sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm with their fellow GM/4x4/diesel fans. Do you know if your friend Dan still has that Cummins? I know that was like a month ago. Please email me @juno.com if he does. Take care and have a great day!

Tim

8. azblazor

Tim,

Sorry about that! But it is a very nice truck. Although I've had to do a few things to it and I'm not done yet.

Hopefully we can meet up when you get back. My son who is also in IRAQ is building a crew cab short bed with a 6.2. What unit are you in? My son's name is Glenn (Sgt Whiting) and he is in the 1404th Trans Co (4th ID). They are in Camp Spyker mostly and in Camp Anaconda sometimes. He runs a PLS with a MM on top of it.

As far as the Chalet - you are thinking of Doug Wright. He has moved to Colorado and goes by K5Nutt now. He used to be azblazEr. He's a real nice guy and used to be in the Army.

When you coming home? My son is supposed to be back sometime in April or May. He was activated in Jan of 03.

If you clarify you email for me I'll put you in touch with Dan. Are you AZTimT@juno.com?

Take care,

Mark

9. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Mark,

No worries on the truck, just glad someone's able to enjoy it!

Boy it sure is a small world! I am in the 2220th Trans Co down at Tallil Air Base which is kind of the overnight stop for the 1404th guys when they make it down this way. I've got some pics of their trucks taken one night about a month ago. April is looking like the magic month for us as well, at least for going back to Ft. Bliss. I doubt they will hold us there too long though. It would be really strange if he is the same Glenn that one of the gals in my unit is always talking about, her name is Mimosa. We don't get to interact with the other AZ units much, but it's nice when we do.

Yup, Doug definitely rings a bell and he certainly did strike me as a very nice and knowledgeable guy. LOL he had me thinking about buying one of those Chalet campers for my 78 Blazer for a while, but the wife wouldn't hear of it. This deployment has changed that though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, so since I won't have a wife to answer to /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, it's back to my favorite past time of building up my trucks and happily too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks to the /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif ARMY I now have enough money to make my dream toy! /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

You guessed it right on the email address and thank you very much for helping me out. Take care and have a great day!

Tim

10. azblazor

Tim,

Wow...same Glenn, same Mimosa....if there's anything I need to know just PM or email me (see profile) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the wife /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If there is anything I can do for you now or when you get back let me know. I'll send you an email.

Take care and thanks for being over there doing a difficult job in a difficult place!

11. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Mark,

That sure is funny how coincidences work out... I'll bet Mo' is surprised when I tell her. LOL I'll definitely let you know if there is anything worth knowing, but everyone here is safe so far and that is the only important detail I can think of. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for my job, I'm here, but I sure don't do much to earn my check, but we all feel that way so we are more than ready to get back!

Tim