Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'eh... you Canadians.... anyone live in Alberta?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm seriously looking into the financials of a ranch in Alberta... If the annual income is good enough, any bank would be stupid not to give me a loan to buy the place. If you are from Alberta, I'm sure you've heard of it... hell, I knew what it was before I found it for sale... it's the Q-Ranch. 75000+ acres of ranch for $18.8 million Canadian, or ~$15 million US. With 950 Cow/Calf pairs, I could pay off the loan in about 18 years, and it looks like it would make one hell of a hunting/fishing/trapping outfit property. Anyway... I'm wondering if any of you Cannuckistanians would be willing to head over to the ranch and ask for the financial information for me. I need to know the basics, price per tillable acre, price per developed acre, acreage of the lake, leased and deeded acreage, annual income, USDA Status (I know it's in Canada, but it's possible) annual taxes, etc.... If it looks good, I might go to the bank...

Oh yeah... here's the link to the ranch... and contact info for the seller. I'd call myself, but I think he'd rather see the person he's givng the paperwork to...

http://www.landandfarm.com/lf/s/63/75645.asp

You borrow $180,000, the bank owns you... you borrow $18,000,000, you own the bank.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

75,000+ acres! Putting that on top of the lotto win list.

3. PhoenixZorn

lol... It's MINE Leper!!! =)

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

can can is from Canmore Alberta. I know i've seen a few others in the alberta.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The ranch is about a 5 hour drive from where I live, or 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Calgary. I did notice, however, that the listing realtor is from Fort Macleod, and I just happen to have a buddy who has family there. I'll ask him tomorrow if they know the guy, and are able to get the inside scoop on the deal.

FWIW, the land out that way is not usually good enough to sustain any kind of crop without MAJOR irrigation. If you're thinking about farming a portion and running cattle on the rest of it, you may as well forget it. And I'm willing to bet the "lake" is little more than a 50 acre slough. That being said, if you're looking for a prime piece of prairie, the Cypress Hills area is a beautiful part of the country if you like a big sky and neverending views. :thumb:

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to shoot you down, but I must be missing something here.
    117 sections, and ONLY running 950 pairs? Paul must be right--infertile land. You're in Iowa, that country can run 30+ head to the section. Where I am in NM will run 15 head to the section, and they will never begin to pay off a 15MM loan.
    But, in the event you have or can get that kinda $$$, I might sell my 60+K acres.
    Jimbo

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My family has about 3000 acres near Stettler, and it isn't particuarly awesome for growing either... The soil is very good, but we haven't gotten any real rain down there in years.

We rent the land to a guy who uses about half of it for between 300 - 400 head of cattle.

As far as I know, there isn't much value in farming anymore, you'll just barely cover all your costs, forget making big money.

8. PhoenixZorn

Waterloo, WISCONSIN... not Waterloo, Iowa... =)

Anyway, yeah I noticed that as well... There is about 1500 acres of crop land, and the rest is one bigass prairie. My intention for the land was to keep the cattle on about 5000 acres, build a milspec rifle range (1000yds max range) and do guided hunts and run a very basic "inn" type thing. I figured with 75000+ acres, there had to be some part of it that was well wooded and would make great deer, elk, moose, and bear country, but maybe I'm wrong. I was guessing with a guide service and the commonality of hunters paying upwards of $3000 for a guided trophy hunt for a week, I'd be able to clear a few hundred thousand to half a million a year in profits along with the annual cattle auction. The land seems PERFECT for upland game, and some waterfowl too, but then again, if the land is infertile and hard winters are the norm, Pheasants may not do well there at all.

Anyway... it started out as a joke to buy the farm, so I'm not too heart broken about it not being good for what I am looking for. There's a 630 acre parcel (I know, how do you go from 75000 to 630...) in Northern Wisconsin that I'd like to look into as well, that's already set up as a "game farm" with 1500 acres of county land adjacent to it. That piece has 2 cabins, 2 houses, a mobile home, barn, clubhouse, and is truly a perfect hunting area. They already have a decent customer base, but again I have to wonder why the owners are selling... Are they not making enough, or are they just getting too old to do it anymore?