Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ehaust fumes and soft tops...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jun 10, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm going to be building a K5 and have some exhaust questions.

Is there a preferred way to route exhaust for a soft top? I've heard that running turn downs or tail pipes straight out the back can cause fumes to come in the back window with a hard top, what about a soft top?

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

No matter how you run the exhaust, it's going to suck some into the back window. It's the shape that causes it. If you have the sides rolled up on your soft top, you'll prolly be okay.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With the sides rolled up you get no fumes at all...other than that it'll be just like the hard top. Open rear window and it will suck in fumes...

Rene

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A friend suggested that running the tail pipes out at a 45 degree angle to each rear corner helped the problem (although it didn't go away). Since I'll have to have new pipe put on this truck is on route better than others? Or does it seem to be just as bad no matter which way?

Thanks for the help!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the tailpipes at 45 degrees and currently have them at 90 degrees right at the bumper. I didn't notice any difference...other then not breaking my exhaust hangers anymore.

Rene

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well maybe if you were to run them up past the top of the truck like the milatary does on their fording kits that might help. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

hey, don't hate the fumes.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I have the pipes out the side behind the rear wheels, run with the soft top and I don't get the fumes too bad. It is definately better with the sides rolled up or the top down. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I can not even hardly drive my truck any distance at all with out real bad fumes.. If I roll my windows down it is even worse. My truck has factory duals on it that is all in good shape.. I have to figure this out becuase I can not drive it like this.

10. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

check you manifold for exhaust leaks, could be that it isn't even in your pipes. mine was so bad that my eyes water and i got light headed in five minutes when in my truck. i have true duals, but one of my exhaust manifolds was missing a donut. i guess the previous owner took it out, don't know why. but i put that in and it is much better. Also replaced the distributor and reset the timing and now it burns no where near as rich making less gas in the exhaust.