Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eight-lug conversion backing plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Jul 18, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have read all(at least most of) the threads about the eight-lug conversion for the front 10-bolts.I can see where anyone has mentioned where to find the backing plate other than the junk-yard.Around here the yards want you to buy the whole axle.Has anyone done this conversion..and where did you get your parts?Thanks.

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i found my 8 lug parts from a seller on pirate4x4.com. shoot a pm to big mudder on there. i think he has several sets of 8 lug parts. all you need are the hub/rotor assembly and backing plates.

dont forget to buy new bearings/races. while i had all this stuff pulled off i found it to be a perfect time to replace the balljoints and axle u-joints. it cost more money than i had planned when i started the project, but i drive a safer, more reliable truck.

3. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Thanks I'll get up with him right away.

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

not to highjack but you dont need to replace the spindles like the article on here says? I wanna make my 10bolt an 8lug as well, but am having a hard time trying to figure out what exactly i need cuz i hear different stories from different people

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you currently have a 6-lug 10-bolt, you can get the parts off of an 8-lug 10-bolt and will NOT need spindles.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The reason the article says to change the spindles is because they are doing the swap on a dana 44 which had two different spindle sizes between 6 and 8 lug. The 10-bolt is identical between 6 and 8 lug with the exception of the hubs, rotors, and backingplates. Maybe calipers but I am pretty sure your 1/2 ton calipers will work.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have been considering fabbing these parts. They aren't that hard to make, but is there a market for the effort? :dunno: :thinking:

AFA as spindles go, if you have the large bearing D44 spindles, you can use them. If not, you'll need to go with a set of 10B spindles. They can be from an 8 lug or 6 lug 10B. They are the same. Also, your brake caliper/pads will swap over.