Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Either I am blessed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Sep 19, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Or just freakin lucky... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    It happened again, I get in my rig to go to work and hit the key and get the big ol click.
    Look at the volt meter and have plenty of juice.
    at first I start to get irritated and then realize that once again ol girl has gotten me home and decided that enough was enough and died in the drive way. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    The only place she leaves me stranded is in the freakin driveway LOL
    I drive over 100 miles to and from work and she has never let me down, that and I wheel the crap out of her.
    The last time was when she spit out the driveshaft. (the u-joint is still welded to the yoke) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Anyway I start calling around for a starter and have the Delco # on hand and start to get the ol what year bla bla bla.
    I tell em you cannot go by application on this one.
    you know how it goes they need the info any way... he says ya we have a bunch in stock and I am like now will ya take the #.
    He says ok and I give it to him and a bit later he says a 78 K5 does not have that starter and I tell him mine does.
    Long story short they don't have one and will have to order it.
    Bah I just said screw it and took it out and tore it apart to see what had happened.
    well my lil oil leak had soaked the inside of the starter and there was enough sand in it to fill a cat box.
    So I toss it in the parts washer and clean it up and inspect it and other than the armature being kinda scratched it looked ok.
    Break out the blow dryer, dry it off and stuff it back in.
    hit the button and she fires right off. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I was 2 hrs late to work but still managed to get in a full shift.
    Ya know come to think of it none of my rigs leave me stranded.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Man, that it luck. When I get off of work today I have to put a new one on, and while I'm at it put on a new flexplate /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , I guess the starter hasn't fully engaging into the flexplate and stripped the crap out of it along with the starter.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That sux.
    When ya get it together again ya need to make sure that the starter drive is engaging the flexplate properly.
    I have the procedure for checking the drive to ring gear here somewhere.
    I'll dig it out and post it for ya.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I had an old VW like that. NEVER left me in a bad place and quite honestly only broke down once to the point it had to be towed. THe diff went out on it. The seal between the auto tranny and diff in the transaxle failed. I was 25 miles from home and it started letting go. Got me within about 6 miles and to my buds apt complex. I knew he was 10 minutes behind me. Next morning I had a tow truck out and it would not even back out of the parking space on pretty level ground.
    Neither of the truck have left me stranded. I had a clogged Fuel filter comming back from Tellico (2.5 hour drive) at 1am. Got me home.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey ron long time no see man...what you been up to????

yeah i hear ya on leaving you in the friveway...mine does it to me all the time...but thank god ive got enough spare parts laying around to build another blazer or id be screwed

Later

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so did you drill a drain hole?

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I went a few minutes ago and got a starter, it came with shims, instructions, and a round rod for checking the distance between the flexplate and the starter, so I will know how many if any shims to put in. The part that sucks the most is last weekend I had to pull a friend's Toyota that has been tricked out up a bad hill with alot ruts, of course the old bowtie went up it with no problems /forums/images/icons/cool.gif , so we get to the top of the hill on a good flat spot and turn the trucks off for a few minutes, and you guessed it, my truck wouldn't crank, the starter was grinding and stripping on the flexplate. So unfortunately I had to be pulled all the way home /forums/images/icons/mad.gif .

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

LOL Naw I think I am just gonna see where the leak is and plug it.
    I am pretty sure that it is puking out the back of the intake manifold.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what happened to a buddy of mine at Pismo,
    He had just lowered his El Camino, so we ended up floating it across the creek at high tide /forums/images/icons/cool.gif We made camp as high up as he could get it. Of course the tide came in at 4 in the morning. I woke up to hear screaming and shouting and a wave in my face /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I inch-wormed my way backward up the dune just ahead of the water in my sleeping bag /forums/images/icons/grin.gif He ended up backiung his car up into the wet sand to get a running start and rammed his way up the dune until he could go no more. The next day when we broke camp it wouldn't start no matter what we did, it just wouldn't turn over. Finally ran enough jumper cables to it from several trucks (looked like a bunch of trucks doing surgery on an Elco /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) and got him to an auto parts store in town. He dropped the starter and about a pound of sand fell out /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif We found the problem /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif