Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

El Cheapo engine rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jan 3, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If a guy was to rebuild a 350 engine with a budget of about $600 and was looking for reliability over power, what would be the best way to go about this thing? I can get a good set of rebuilt heads for around $150 from a friend that just went to Dart's, and an edelbrock performer for $50 on ebay all day long. My carb is fresh, and all accessories work well. So for $400 for the engine, is it possible or worthless?

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think you can do it! Check out Northern Auto Parts , they have great prices on QUALITY rebuild kits. The key to pulling this off is how much machine work your block and crank will need.

Hope this helps!

Mike

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you shop around and get the rebuild kit and the machining from the same shop, you just might do it.
    I repeat might.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

I would never buy a rebuild kit from a machine shop. They normally charge twice what you can mail order it for, plus you have to pay the taxes.
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mike

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

BTW.....I have bought and used 5 rebuild kits from NA Parts and have never had a problem with the parts or customer service! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got a rebuild kit from PAW. I had to get new pistons and have the block bored out and the crank turned. I already had good heads. My total bill was around $1000. I also bught all new hoses and mounts and water pump. I think If I hadnt needed to pistons and the bore job it would have been much cheaper.

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i second the northern auto, i have a few of their catalogs and they have great prices on stuff, i think you can do it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif especially if you can get away without a lot of machine work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

I just went and looked, the COMPLETE rebulid kit from NA Parts for a Chevy 350 is $154.99.

Mike

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Hey bud, if I miss you before you take off, leave me that PAW catalog with the rents will ya, I"ll be back in town this saturday night and sunday so.....maybe I'll try to hollar at you, my jaw got infected after having these teeth cut out for a week so..haven't been up for much all last week.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It will be tough to do, but like someone allready said, it will depend on how much you have to spend at the machine shop. If your block has to be bored that is an extra cost along with the added expense of the pistons, and having the new pistons pressed on to your rods. I would also suggest that you have the big ends of the rods sized at the machine shop while you are there. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.