Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

El-cheapo speaker system

Discussion in 'Audio' started by wrathORC, Apr 12, 2003.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I spent around 20 minutes searching since I'm 99% sure this has been covered at least once but I'm going to try anyway.

First off, I know I don't know jack about car audio. I'm 100% certain you guys know more and can point me in the right direction.

I always use finely stranded 12 gauge wire and try to find it with the gasoline resistant coating on it. I match the lengths of all pairs of wires. I don't coil and I try to keep bend diameters over 6". I don't put any connectors in and always solder & shrink tube.

OK, I have a Jensen MP3510. Go ahead and make fun of me for buying it. I got it about a year ago for $130 on sale. It has more than enough power to give me a headache. I like the stereo just loud enough to hear it over the tires. I'm more interested in quality than quantity.

I have a pickup.

Currently I have the stock 4x10s in the back and 3.5" in the front. I used to have 6" 3ways in the back but I blew them.

The dumbasses that put my truck together 20 years ago crossed the wires to the speakers. That's correct, the left and right channels are backwards. I first noticed this on a Metallica song. That's something that has to be rectified. When I fix that I'll probably replace the wire with 12 gauge THNN wire.

So, my question is, what do you suggest for speakers? I'm going to buy some el-cheapo Jensen ones that are on clearance at Wally-world right now. I successfully modified the stocker brackets in the back for 6" speakers. Do you think I'd have the same luck with 6x9s? It looks like it'd be a tight fit. Maybe 4x6s? I don't want no freaking 4x10s. I have yet to ever see one that sounded good. Pioneer makes some that don't sound too bad but...

What about the front speakers? Has anyone successfully butchered the stock brackets for 4" speakers?

I don't want to put speakers in the doors. I don't mind door speakers but they'd be ruined in short order. Not only are they in the kicking area but they'd regularly get submersed in water. Even though it's my daily driver it also doubles as my deep-sea submersible vehicle which is why I have no floor except floor mats.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe 4x6s?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

25.00 bran new in box /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif buy them from me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

You will have to ditch those stock front speaker brackets to get the 4"'s to work. I had to just for my new 3.5"'s. You will have to enlarge the metal holes in the dash some. As for your back speakers being crossed I would double check them with a sound check cd that plays sounds to every channel. Some cleaning cd's have that on them also. Also check to make sure your harness was wired correctly. You could always just reverse the wires there if they are indeed crossed in the cab. Unless you just want to rewire them in the cab.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I went junkyarding last week and picked up a pair of front speaker brackets. It doesn't look too promising. I think I can mangle the brackets to get them to work but the holes in the dash are pretty small. I'd like to avoid cutting my dash. That metal is pretty tough and if I use my dremel tool I'll have one heck of a mess.

As far as the wires, I know they're backwards. I'm partially colorblind and even I can tell both the front and back speakers are on the wrong sides. You can't put the plugs in backwards so it's some assembly line worker's fault. I could pull the radio back out of the dash, release the terminals from the holder, flip the wires around, put back together, but that's a lot of work. I plan on rewiring because I don't like having the wires going by the doorsill since I run a bedlinered floor. And since I'm rewiring I'm going to run 12 gauge wire because 18 gauge wire is only good for 15 watts in my opinion.

Thanks

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'll keep you in mind. I'd really like to try to fit 6x9s back there. I already modified my brackets once for 6" round speakers and it looks kind of gay with the hole being huge and the speaker not covering it up. I want to enter our school's car audio competition (put on by our local chapter of AES--audio engineering society) for best sound and best craftsmanship. No trucks ever enter at our school, it's always the ricers and bling-blingers in their Furd Exploders.

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

One thing to keep in mind with those fronts is the problem I had. The new aftermarket speakers are usually higher than the stock ones and my dash wouldn't fit without bulging. That's why I just ditched those brackets. Amazing what you can accomplish with a few screws and zip ties, lol. If I remember correctly the passenger side hole was larger than the driver's side so you may not have to trim much on it. Just keep a vacuum cleaner running to suck up your mess as you go.

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I always use finely stranded 12 gauge wire and try to find it with the gasoline resistant coating on it.

[/ QUOTE ] If you are looking for gasoline/oil reisitant... than You want to buy THC wire. TH=heat resistant C=chemical resistant

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just put 4" 100 watt Jensons in my dash. I gouund out the stock brackets to fit the bigger 4" speakers. The passenger side fit great and bloted right in. I had to use the zip tie and screw method /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif on the drivers side. They fit no prob without grinding the dash.. I used Jensons because they are pretty thin and didn't have the raised tweeter. They fit under the dash cover without any bulge.
    For the back I removed the 4x10 and enlarged the holes and put in 150 watt 6x9 2 way. I checked out a lot of speakers and ended up getting a set of Optimas from Radio Shack. To me they sounded the best. They have very good clear bass. Which is what I wanted.
    The 4" in the front give plenty of highs.
    I run them with a 200 watt(50x4) Boss /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ( and you were worried about your jenson /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) in dash CD. It sounds great for a 250.oo sound system. Cant even hear my Mudders and Flowmaster any more.
    If you can make 6x9 fit they are the way to go.

9. K5Blazed

K5Blazed Registered Member

I ended up using a pair of 12" subs in a box that floats around in the bed of my K5. I've got 2 amps hooked up to it; one for the two subs, and another for the 4x6 plate speakers that i put in the dash. Everything runs at 2ohm. Simple. The 4x6 are Infinity Kappas and i got em for about $80 (about half of what Crutchfield charges). The subs I didn't buy, nor the amps, I just had them sitting around. But if you are just looking for some tunes that you can crank till your ears bleed, then that's all you need.