Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

elctronic corrosion inhibitors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Aug 31, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if anyone was using an elctronic corrosion inhibitor. i've seen them in jcwhitney for cars which is pretty new. electric corrosion inhibotrs on new ships is now almost standard and if this system is the same as used on a steel hull in salt water for two years continously then it might be the best thing in the world for old cars.

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

i have a crazy uncle who has one on his old piece of [censored] jeep wagonear. It is still rusty, but it might just be becuase it is really old. i dont know how long it was on there either becuse he bougyt it used with it on it. so in conlusion, i cant really say how well it works, but I think it at least works a little, and every little bit helps.
    Ike

Jeep, what every boy dreams of... K5 what every man owns!!!

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've heard that some work and some don't. Unfortunately I don't know which ones work. A block of magnesium should work too. I've thought about trying it but has anyone priced mag lately? Talk about expensive!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

4. Dave

Dave Registered Member

It's just one of those "believe it works and it will" scams. They install those on all underground fuel tanks up here in Wisconsin (and most of the surrounding area I believe). They put those on my dad's tanks at his gas station about 2 years ago. No proof it's really working.....just a little green light to watch.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

They bury blocks of magnesium with pipes and tanks too. They're connected with a cable to create a galvanic reaction that corrodes the magnesium instead of the steel. The only problem is that when the magnesium is gone the steel begins to rust so you need to replace the magnesium eventually. The theory behind the electronic systems is accurate but most people either don't install them right, don't maintain them, or use one that's not designed correctly (there's a lot of them on the market that really are crap). If they're designed and set up right they do work very well.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I know the magnesium blocks sacriface themself because they are the weaker metal. There are "currents" in salt-water and in the ground that you can lead to attack the weak metal. Thats why the kill switch on the batteries in a boat should not be left on when you are not using it. It speeds upp the corosion process.
    But do you have these "currents" in a truck??
    I cant explain it any bether but maybe I got my question across.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I understand that the mag system wouldn't work on a truck (unless you never clean the mud out [​IMG]), someone mentioned underground tanks and it popped into my head so I wrote it. I know all about stray currents on a boat, I think the manifold on my Century is in need of changing because of some crappy wiring the previous owner did. I've been trying to figure out how to build my own impressed voltage system for my truck but I'm not sure how it would affect the regular electrical system. Even though I'm an ME I know a lot about electrical systems, but probably not enough to design a rust prevension system. I'll leave that to my EE friends.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i saw the same thing in jcwhitney.

my question would be this, if they worked so well ' or as they make it sound' why havent the car manufacterers done this?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

9. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

My brother was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years and they have real problems over there with rust, he installed one of these on his car and after finishing his duty and coming home to WA he still has the car and no rust.That was over 5 years ago and they seem to have worked for him.

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I think GM offers it as a dealer installed option, at least on some models. I was at a local dealer body shop and saw one being installed on a Metro. A Camaro or a Corvette I could understand, but a Metro????

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org