Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eldebrock carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Oct 31, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my truck has an edelbrock 600cfm carb on it, and it stalls about every 2 mins on the trail, is this normal or should i just throw a q-jet on it?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

edelbrock sells quardajets and carters
    by the cfm rating I would guess you have a carter
    quadrajet is the offroad king of gasoline carbs

what have you tried in regards to tuning the carter?

3. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

Not normal. Though not sure what kind of trails you're talking about. You can get an offroad kit for it through Summit or Jegs for the price of a six pack. I just put one in mine though haven't tested it yet and really didn't have any problems without it on the mild bit of wheeling I've done. The kit is just a spring loaded set of needles. Easy to put in. Most people say qjet is better but I'm not sure how it compares with the kit?

Mark

4. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

I was assuming you were referring to a Performer series.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Holley sells the same crap as their offraod kit, has no effect on the actual problems in the carb
    I hope it works better for your carter

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You have some type of problem and it might not even be the carb. You might want to do somemore checking things out or give us more info.
    I have a performer with the off-road kit, deal with high alt. conditions and wheel the heck out of it. Once you figure it out, it may not be as good as FI but it's not bad.
    Talk to us...............

7. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

I had the same Edelbrock #1406 on my 454, and it stalled all of the time- poor design for off road. I swapped on a new edelbrock Qjet (ebay $250.00- $500.00+ at a parts store) and it runs flawlessly in all conditions that stalled the old carb.

Make the swap to any qjet and end your problems off road- and add some power at the same time. I don't know anything about the off road kits for the #1406.

good luck

8. 86chevybanshee

its a performer carb, it runs fine on the street but with the slightest incline or decline its stalls

9. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

mine ran great on the street too, so does the qjet! but off road the 1406 was bad but the qjet rocks off road. Seems an obvious choice.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my personal opinion, just get a Q-jet.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In my personal opinion, just get a Q-jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap Paul that is some serious restraint for you, considering the topic. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 86chevybanshee

yea i think im gona throw the q jet on it from my other truck, another question, the q jet from my other truck was the computer controlled one, will it still work for a 79?

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same Edelbrock #1406 on my 454, and it stalled all of the time- poor design for off road. I swapped on a new edelbrock Qjet (ebay $250.00- $500.00+ at a parts store) and it runs flawlessly in all conditions that stalled the old carb.

Make the swap to any qjet and end your problems off road- and add some power at the same time. I don't know anything about the off road kits for the #1406.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, I just made the swap a few months ago. Now on the same obstacles my q jet doesn't even hesitate where the Edelbrock would always STALL! The Edelbrock was a great carb for road driving though /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif If I were you I would put an ad in the local paper freebie section and see if some old gear head might trade carbs with you. That's how I got my Q jet-traded straight up.