Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eldebrock Fuel Injection?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jan 2, 2001.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if the Edelbrock Multi-Point EFI conversion kit is worth changing out the Stock Throttle Body Injection. I have an 1989 K5 with the 5.7 TBI. According to Edelbrock, this system can be utilized with the stock engine, stock computer and stock throttle body minus the two original fuel injectors. They will also send a computer chip with this system. Has anyone of you all had any experience with this system? The cost for the MPI and fuel pump is $917.24 including shipping. You can view this system at www.edelbrock.com ......Det45

One Fine 89.....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by det45 on 01/02/01 07:35 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've looked at their system. It's quite trick, but that's a whole lot of money to pay just to get 25 extra HP. (I'd also bet that part of the "gain" they got was by using premium fuel and advancing the timing on the 2nd dyno run). It would be lots cheaper to just go with a hotter cam and matching chip.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I've looked into the system, it seems to be a pretty cool set up. My plans were to build or buy a 383 engine, and use fuel injection. I figured the stock set-up wouldnt provide enough fuel so changing to the edelbrock would do the trick. I was told by edelbrock that i would need a custom chip to get the set-up to work with the 383, buut they said it would run great. In my opinion this isnt worth it unless you greatly improve your engine. A stock engine probably woudnt seem much improvement aside from idle quality and drivability. Where did you get that price from? I was quoted around $1600 with the fuel pump & chip. This makes the gm 350 ram jet fuelie motor look good at $4500.

[​IMG]

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

No, I don't think it's worth it. The ECM used on those trucks isn't made to drive those injectors, 8 of them to boot, and the gains are just not there. A new exhaust and headers will cost less and give you just as much power. If you want to put it on a built-up engine, that's an even worse idea. Don't get me wrong, it probably runs just fine on a stock engine, but it just isn't worth it! There are plenty of other ways to get more air/fuel into that engine if you really need it.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

5. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Kumma, The web site address for this unit at the price of $917.24 is as follows..... www.truckaddons.com

One Fine 89.....

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The system det45 is talking about. Doesn't include the manifold. And only works on vehicles with throttle body's. My father has a 56 willy's with a 283.He was one of the first people in CA to put on the edelbrock system. He went from a holly carb to this system. His 283 is pumped up a little. A mild cam with headers. The system cost him $1800.00 almost 2 years ago. That thing won't stall no matter how hard you try. It is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going. He says that is the best $1800.00 he has ever spent. When I can afford it. I will put the same system on my 86 Blazer. But I heard the price keeps going up

Gokartrergo

[​IMG]

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The picture on that page shows the manifold, with the injectors and fuel rails installed. Looks like you only need to buy a matching fuel pump to be ready for the install. That looks like a good price for the kit, but I still think that spending a grand for only a 25 HP bump is a bit extreme. If you already have TBI anyway, then stalling on bumps and hills shouldn't be a problem. You could get more power than that just by dropping in a new cam for maybe $200.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Well I just bought the kit and it is sitting in front of me as I type. I paid $812.00 and it does come complete with the alum intake with fuel rails installed along with eight fuel injectors. This kit also comes with the fuel pump and all necessary parts to install this kit. I was planning on installing this kit this weekend however my son trashed our third vehicle, so much for my work truck...Anyway this kit is available with intake and all necessary hardware however I heard that eldebrock is no longer providing fuel pumps with their kits so you will have to pay extra for the pump. I should have this kit installed within the month and I'll let you all know how it went and how it works. I bought my kit at Alamo Performance in San Antonio Texas. You can also purchase this kit on line at www.truckaddons.com Det45

One Fine 89.....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by det45 on 01/07/01 11:37 AM (server time).</FONT></P>