Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elderly Neighbors Taunting/Antagonizing my Dogs...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Mar 15, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have lived in a new home for just about 2 months now. We live next door to an elderly couple who we have spoken to only a couple of times.

About 2 weeks ago, I was outside and I heard what I thought was strange barking from their back yard. This was driving my 3 Beagles nuts, as does any strange dog that comes near our property. I walked down the drive only to find the old man barking and howling at our dogs. I stared at him not knowing what to say, and when he saw me he became startled and ran away. I was very angry, but thought he probably learned his lesson and left it at that.

A word about our dogs... They have been trained to bark at strangers. When we move to a new place, they will bark at everyone new until they have met the neighbors. All of our new neighbors besides the old couple next door have come to meet us, have met and petted the dogs, and therefore the dogs do not bark at them unless they come to the door.

Today, my Wife caught the Elderly lady next door doing the same thing. Standing at the back of her house barking and howling at our dogs (who are in a penned in area behind our home) antagonizing them to make them bark and howl.

We also learned that the elderly couple has written a letter to our landlord complaining about the dogs barking night and day, and that they want something done about it. This is completely untrue, and I would estimate that our dogs spend at least 16 hours per day on the couch and/or in one of our beds. Approximately -0- after dark hours are spent outside.

First of all, they are inside dogs. They do not sleep outside, and are in the house from no later than 9pm until no earlier than 8am. I take them out to potty about 3-4am, but I am with them for the 5 minutes that takes, so if they do bark it is literally once or twice before I silence them. Even during the day, they spend the majority of their time is spent in the house with my Wife and kids. They don't bark for no reason. If they're barking, it's because there is a stranger near or a strange dog in the yard. Most of our neighbors over the years have told us how amazed they have been that our 3 Beagles are so quiet and calm. It comes from spending a lot of time with the family, going on walks, and meeting the neighbors. NOT tied to a tree out back, or left alone 24/7 in a pen aout back. I think our elderly neighbors are trying to paint a picture of the latter for our landlords, although the landlords lived with us for a month when we first moved in so they know better. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I had my Wife call the Police to file a complaint. They said that no laws were broken by either side, since there is no leash law or any ordinance against barking at all, so they did nothing. There is no leash law either. Very few ordinances at all for that matter, if any.

Besides my concern over the psychological stability of this elderly couple, and the harm they might do to my dogs if we leave them in their pen while we go out for dinner or to run errands, their obvious psychological instability leaves me deeply concerned about my children playing outside with these nutjobs nearby.

There must be some kind of legal action I can take or legitimate complaint I can file to keep them away from my family. I have no idea why they have chosen to bother us. If they want the dogs to stop barking, why in the world would they take time to go out their back door and antagonize them???

Since the police were no help I thought there might be some kind of animal organization that I could report them to. Probably nothing could be done since there was no physical harm, but anything that puts them in the public eye would be a good step toward keeping them in their own little world.

I plan to get one of those motion activated cameras to put in our back window to catch them doing their barking act when they think we're not home... Not that it's even illegal for them to do it, but at least it will go towards their credibility if this goes overboard. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It seems like we're a magnet for nutjobs. The last place we lived there was a crazy old lady 2 houses down that was always calling the cops on everybody. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Any advice, ideas, or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Paul 'X'

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Go to thier house, tell them to stop it, if they don't, kill them

Or maybe just the first part...

If they keep doing it, call them or go to thier house and repeat that they should stop doing it

If they don't answer, keep knocking, louder and harder

If you see them doing it again, a good "WHAT THE [darn] ARE YOU DOING!?" might help

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

next time you let the dogs out hide somewhere until they come out and start barking and howling at the old people. If that don't work..kill them

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Or maybe just the first part...

If they keep doing it, call them or go to thier house and repeat that they should stop doing it

If they don't answer, keep knocking, louder and harder

If you see them doing it again, a good "WHAT THE [darn] ARE YOU DOING!?" might help

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, the voice of reason! I'd love to go straight to the killing part. Too many laws today protect the utterly stupid and assinine. If they knew I they might eat a .45 hollowpoint for acting an ass like that, they would never consider doing it. But Noooooo, I have to be diplomatic and tolerate it for 6 months before the law will even consider doing anything about it at all...

But I may go pound on their door and scare the hell out of them... I was pretty pissed off the first time, the second time I was at work or I would have gone over there. One more time and I'll be beyond my threshhld for BS. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Paul 'X'

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got a bark limiter collar that you could borrow.

You think the old geezer would notice it around his neck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I would definately go over to them and ask them what the problem is and why they are doing what they are doing, get something from them, put them on the spot, if they get cocky, threaten them with legal action, even though you know nothing at the moment can be done legally, they may not know this fact. Harrass them back.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

HOW ABOUT THIS....make a small discreet hole in fence, lets say just about big enough for your dogs to go thru....

"NEWS FLASH...ELDERLY COUPLE ATTACKED BY WILD BAND OF DOGS"

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not sure where you are located, but are fireworks/firecrackers legal where you are ????????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Next time they start barking at your dogs, light off a couple /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Video tape them in the act and then bring the tape to the PD for a detective to view. Try to view the tape with the detective.....he may agree to go speak with them or agree to send a patrol officer over to speak to them about it. I doubt you personally confronting them would stop anything, the police may possibly have some history on them anyway if they have lived there a while.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

dig a pit with punji sticks right were they come to the fence to tease your dogs

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The state has people who help with neigbor relations and other disputes that are not worth going to jail or court over, call the courthouse... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Since they are acting like dogs, put a little antifreeze in some ground beef and throw it over the fence to them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

knock on the door untill they come out then bark at them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    if they arent home use a saws all and modify their cars fenders to fit some old bald mud tires. 33's if its a car and 36's if its a truck.

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oh I know!

Start baking pies or bread or cornbread or piebread or corncake or cakebread or breadcorn or piescake! Anyway when the neighbors get all bitchy and bark (I can't quite imagine this still) Wait until about 2am, go knock on thier door really louadly and wake them up.

"Sorry to bother you but man, today, I heard a dog barking, but my dogs weren't barking, and I couldn't see any other dogs, and it's freaking me out. Anyway, here's a pie. I stayed up all night making piebread, and corncakes. Corncakes. Piebread. Man this is freaking me out I can;t sleep. Can i come watch tv with you guys? No? Ok.... Bye"

If that doesn't work, remove all who are offended by bad language and start screaming really obscene made up lyrics.

"COCK ASS BITCH [darn] [darn] [darn] ASS [darn] [darn] [darn] [darn] EAT MY TOOL! [darn] [darn] [darn] [darn] [darn] [darn] GONNA DROWN YOU IN MY POOL!"

They yell, you yell

If that doesn't work, stare at them for hours on end. Then air hammer off rivits at 3am

If that doesn't work, kill them

16. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Maybe they are being woke up in the middle of the night when you take the dogs out to pee? I know a bark or 2 from my neighbors dog would be enough to wake me up. After a few night of this I would be pretty pissed. Beagles do have a very annoying howl/bark.
    Do your others neighbors complain about the dogs barking when the old people mess with them? If not, just ignore the old bastards. You could even tell the other neighbors about them messing with your dogs and maybe one of them will catch them in the act a say something.

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

video tape them doing it. then make a copy of it and give it to them with a letter saying if they don't stop you will sue them for harassment /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the first thing i would do is talk to them.

at least your neighbors just barked ant your dogs /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif, this one old couple hit my dog with a stick and kicked her becasue she barked and walked toward them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

go talk to your other neieghbors (the sane one's) and ask if they have heard any barking late at night-- then ask the one's who have lived there awhile if they know anything about the crazy old people and ask them if they would be willing to keep an eye out if they should happen to catch the old geezers in their barking routine and if or when they do ask if they would be ok with writing down exactly what they witnessed and giving it to you ---the video of the old guy would also be very helpful if this should go overboard you should be as well prepared as possible also a word with the landlord asking what he knows about the crazies would be prudent ---i also suggest you NOT go talk to the old people it would most likly show them the are getting the best of you further antagonizing them they could also claim you harassed them later just my .02 but i have been involved in a similar situation----oh and if all else fails kill them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

get a bigger dog and take the fence down.. problem solved..