Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eldo Calipers and E-Brake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jan 26, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Anybody figured it out yet? Im really wanting to get my parking brake back and havent thought of a way to jimmy rig it.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I know what I have to do just haven't got around to it. A-Tron is working on a bracket as well.

3. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jason I expect to have some kind of prototype within a couple weeks. The one prblem I see is that the Gen I runs the e-brake down the center and the Gen II runs down the driver side(or do I have that reversed?). We might have to make two seperate kits. I will keep everyone posted

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are rumors of p[laces that make custom cables.

Some have used stock cable with cable-clamps on the end to hold it in the lever.

You will need brackets/tabs to hold the back end of the cable.

So.... First I would install your stock cables and see how close you can get and then decide on custom cable ends or new cables.

On mine, after careful consideration, critical measurements, and many hours spent under the truck I went DL e-brake. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

A dude on colorado K5, goes by the name K20, he had a issue with a stock cable with a 4" lift, he ground off the rivits on the rear bracket by the drivers rear tire and put spacers, i think he used leaf spring bushings, droped it down a inch or two, worked for him /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Not rumors, I have a set. I will try to get a picture up in the next couple of days.

Mike

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you send us info?

I had a set being built by a shop in Sacto but I gave up after a few months.

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    1st gen's have the cable down the drivers side.I hooked my stock e-cables to the Eldo e-brake levers and they do actuate the Eldo E-brakes but just not far enough.Not enough travel in the 1st gen E-brake pedal to FULLY engage the Eldo E-brake.
    Havn't tried to figure something out yet though.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well if the pedal swing isnt enough couldnt you just find a way to shorten the arm on teh caliper to reduce the movement there?

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Huh...never thought of modifying the e-brake lever.Sounds a little easier than touching the e-brake pedal end of things.Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

My stock right hand cable hooked right up as needed to Caddy e-brake arm and NAPA supplied me with a left hand cable about 8" longer then stock. After everything was hooked up, I needed to shorten the cable going to the e-brake pedal about 6". I cut out about 8" and installed a heavy duty 3/8" turn buckle to adjust slack up a bit. Rest of adjustment is done with equalizing bar or factory adjustable bracket. Works great for me. I ran my cable under the axle and come up into the Caddy calipers.

12. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I have one figured out, but haven't finished building yet.

The lever (arm) is modeled after the factory eldo, only shorter. After measuring the pull on the truck, I needed the arms about 1" shorter than the caddy in order to pull tight.

To get positioning, I have cut off the first stop tab on the caliper, looking to land on the next spot (after swaping left and right to keep it high). Using one of the springs from the drum brakes for a return pull. Need to build a mounting bar for the cable end.

Again, I have the parts and design. Just been too preoccupied with the drivetrain swap and new suspension to tinker with something trivial like brakes /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif