Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eldorado caliper price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Oct 5, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I found both rear brake calipers from a '78 elderodo online but they junkyard I found them at wants $45 a piece for them :eek1: . Is it just me or does that sound like to much to you guys too? I found a set about 200 miles from where I live but the yard will not pull them and ship them to me so I would have to spend about $100 in gas just to get there and get them but they only want $15 a piece for the ones they have. What should I do? It would really suck if I ordered the $45 ones and they arrive without the ebrake lever and spring since that is why im looking for used ones anyway.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

use stock front GM calipers, i mean, how often do you REALLY use the e-brake, i've had mine on for alittle over a year now, and never even NEEDED to use it.

much cheaper calipers too. :D

3. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

ya i just use the stock ones never really need it that often and i figure when i go to a 205 ill just get a driveline e brake i heard they work better.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I went the d44 caliper way at first.. but wife wanted an ebrake.. dunno why.. I leave it in gear when the truck is off...

anyhow.. I paid $48 to my door for the eldorado calipers... 1 was bad so i got 1 from autozone.. it was all messed up... so returned it.. ended up getting 2 from napa for $65 each...

remember this... they are rebuilt so you need a core.... core is like $40-$75 cant remember EACH!!!!! plus they dont come with the springs and lever.. personally I would buy them used and trade them in...

now my eldo calipers work great.... for some reason I had more pedal though with d44 calipers.... :doah:

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

whatch ebay I just bought a set for $45 shipped it came complete with levers and springs and it even came with pads that were brand new :D

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i forgot about those who have manual transmissions, i guess you'd kinda want an e-brake for the added security of parking,,,sorry bout that then,

i know they caddy calipers aren't cheap though...and i have been hearing the e-brake lever does not come with them on new units :confused:

7. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

mine were about $38 from the local u-pull-it
    but they are trashed, and i will end up using them for cores

8. 4wheelattitude

4wheelattitude 1/2 ton status

It may sound expensive to you but I paid $174 for a remanned set fully loded (spings, bolts, brackets and pads) for $174 to my door. I thought about it a while and decided that wasn't bad. Most places want $300 for a rebuilt set + core. Think it over. For the effort of putting something else together or taking a chance on used, I think I saved alot of time and trouble. The guy from eBay said he only had one set left. Good luck!

9. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i guess i lucked out only paying $8 each and the PnP.

the springs snapped like a twig though so i have to get those.

10. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I think I will call around tommorow and see how much the core is, maybe that would make it worth it. still worried that they will show up without the levers and springs though, since that would just be my luck. I guess I will check ebay and see what I can find. I am just in the habit of using my ebrake, not sure why and I want to keep one. My truck has an auto and I park on a hill every night and I just hate how it pops into gear with the weight of the truck on the tranny, I wouldnt thing that could be good for the tranny?

11. cok5

cok5 Registered Member

You guys never heard of a line lock. Screw those expensive caddy calipers and get some cheap Dana 44/10 bolt front ones and use a line lock.

12. 4wheelattitude

That line lock sounds great until a time when you lose pressure. Then what?

13. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

yeah line locks should be left on the drag strip where they were intended to be used. I don't know about other states but in mine an e brake is required for safety.

14. cok5

cok5 Registered Member

Why would you loose pressure, unless you busted a brake line and lost fluid.

Also your state law requires an emergency brake, does it say that it has to be a pedal you mash on the left side of the floor board, or a handle in the middle console you pull up?? I highly doubt it. You guys need to think more outside the box.

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

errr.
    Ok...

so anyway..
    I dont know much about line locks but I looked into this before I did the caddy ebrake swap...
    voltage is used on linelocks... well pressure gets lost when voltage goes away.. you know dead battery.. but no one ever leaves their lights on or has a electrical drain...

the state law in NJ is a fuctioning mechanical unit that will lock the brakes and only be undone with 1 other way.. so push pedal and locks... pull lever and releases... hell some ebrake pedals were a push to lock... push to unlock....

as far as the outside of the box comment.....

lemme guess you think that pinion brakes on a rockwell axle is safe and so is FULL hydraulic steering as is real beadlocks on the highway (for road use of course) ... huh :haha:

16. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

You would eventually loose pressure at the piston inside the caliper and the rear wheel cylinders. The seals in them are not made for constant pressure.

And also what Rootbreaker said, in NJ you have to have a mechanical back up in case of pressure loss. I'm sure other states have this too.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have had a lot of things shipped to me from junkyards. Probably $15-$20 for a set of calipers and just wait a few days.

18. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I called the yard and they said that I would have to come and pull them myself that they will not mess with something like brake calipers, but he did say they would only want $15 a side. I know absolutely nothing about line locks but I think I would rather have a mechanical ebrake anyway. I checked ebay today, lots of front calipers but doesnt seem to be any rears.

19. 4wheelattitude

I talked to eBay seller yesterday and he stated he had another set to put on the auction but hasn't got around to it. The sellers user name is roanokedunn. feedback 377 and 100% . Here is the auction number when I purchased 8005095172
    Harry

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The "E" in e-brake stands for "emergency". If you lose hydraulic pressure then the mechanical e-brake can save your life. Brake lines do fail occasionally. I've also seen them get caught on rocks, branches, steering parts, etc. and rip apart, or rub against a tire and get holed. That's the reason that most states require a mechanical backup system. A line lock doesn't meet that spec.