Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elec. Fans?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bandit175, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

What kind of elec. fan set ups do you use? I did a search but still don't know what I want. It's for a daily driver. I live in Savannah GA and it gets hotter'n Hell down here during the summer. I need something with a high CFM rating. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I bought a used one from a scrap yard for like $30. It was from an 90' Cavalier. Just find one for an older front wheel drive car because they work just as well as the $130 perma cool ones. Then purchase a temperature switch from summit racing or ramchargers. Just mount the fan to the radiator, besure the fan does not damage the radiator fins. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

the aftermarket ones can be big bucks. It would be cheaper to put together you own setup if you have the means to build the brackets and stuff.

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I installed a perma-cool with my Vortec 454. Flex-a-lite-weights didn't think they could handle a 4 core with their setup... I would agree. The perma-cool setup seems to be a little better engineered (motors, fan pitch, etc), but this isn't a fully educated opinion.

I haven't towed on a hot day but have used it around town this summer... seems to do well (still working out all the kinks from installing this engine/tranny in my 82 K20).

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I run a Tbird V8 elec. fan. I live in central Florida and its never gotten hot on me. I even run it on low speed. I run a 160 thermostat and a 2 core radiator, has always stayed around 160. A few times it has gone to 170ish but that was when I had been wheeling and driving it all day.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Dude, you gotta let the engine get warmer than that. You're killing your cylinder walls. You're also not getting the oil hot enough to boil out the condensation which will then combine with combustion by-products that make their way into the oil. This will make the oil extremely acidic w/o frequent changes (100-500 mile intervals). Unless you had the engine built as an Alcohol engine, i.e. intended to run at that temp with frequent oil replacements. It needs to get to 180-190. Yea, it may not make as much power at those temps, but it will live a heck of a lot longer. And the dang heater will work during those cold snaps.

Off soap-box.......

JCW sells an adjustable electric fan t-stat. I've used one for years w/ no problems.

7. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

i too found a electric fan set up in a junk yard it was from an eagle medalion it is a pusher dual and it works awssome took the harness and relays also. i paid 10.00 and it is fits between the grill and mounts to the front support. it covers the hole lenght of the radiator opening.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats another one of those things I keep putting off. W/ the "cold" we have had lately the temp gauge rarely gets above 100 here lately. In fact I can only think of twice in that last month it has gotten above 100. My biggest problem is I only drive a few miles each way to work and home. From fire up to shut down is maybe 8-10 min. And needless to say I have no heat. LOL!

When I flushed out the red DexCool (crap!) I put in I planned on changing to a 185, but I was going to be getting on the interstate for the 1st time ever in it to run about an 1 1/2 North for a group run and didnt want to take a chance on changing a set up that had been working. Know what I mean? Its on my soon to do list.