Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elec. fuel pump wiring at tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Sep 19, 2000.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

May 24, 2000
    I recently replaced the fuel pump in the gas tank and can someone tell me what holds the wiring that goes to the pump. The harness that meets at the sending unit. The truck harness sits on top of the sending unit while the pump harness in the tank comes up to meet the truck harness at the sending unit. I got the tank close to being in position with the sending unit loose and took the harness from the tank and plugged it into the truck harness through the sending unit, then secured the sending unit. Seems there should be something more. What keeps the harness inside the tank from just falling inside? I'm losing sleep at night and have nightmares while I'm driving every time I hit a bump thinking the harness is going to come undone. I had this apart years ago to replace the tank but don't remember what held it together or if I broke a clip and never replaced it. Can someone give me peice of mind or tell me I'm a idiot running on borrowed time? Its been about a month or more but I don't even put more than a half a tank of gas in fear the swishing will make the harness come undone. I guess my question is what holds the pump harness to the sending unit inside the tank? Sorry for making this so long, I don't really know how to put it. Thanks!

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro
  2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Jun 27, 2000
    Recently i joined the "cut a frigg'n 10"x12" hole in your floor club".All of my wiring inside the tank was done with clips at each end of the wires,very tight,had to use a screw driver to pop the clips off.Now...where the wireing goes through the sending unit i couldnt take off.(i dont think it is supposed too come off).I just unplugged it at the frame.IF you put everything back together properly it should be fine.....IF.
    P.S. i had to bend the "thingy" that holds the actual pump onto the sending unit because it wasnt very tight, even with the filter/screen in place.
    P.S.S. I didnt have a "harness", i only had like 2 or three short wires to the pump (inside the tank).....later