Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elec. Problems: PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ignato, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

My Blazer won't start! Thats kinda half the problems actually. It all started when I was out on a dirt road (pretty smooth) and I shut the engine off. I went to go restart it, and my security system began to wig out on me. It kept chirping, and locking the doors, and finally, it set the alarm off. So I had to run out and disconnect the battery.I never was succesfull at starting it, it would just click, or do nothing at all. I got a tow home at around 2:30 in the morning. Well, the next day, I get a guy over from circuit city (the people who installed the alarm) to come over to my house and see what was going on. He tried to fix it, but he said the security alarm brain was most likely fried. So he took out the whole system. I was hoping that would have been the problem, but when I went to go start it, it just clicked, or it would do nothing. So at that point, me and the circuit city guy figure that the battery needed a jump. We hook up the cables, and let it sit for a moment, then try to start the blazer. It clicks, but it doesn't turn the motor. So we figure it might need to be on there for just a little more. And at that point in time, the cables begin to melt!!!! Smoke all over the place. I run over and rip it off of both vehicles. I can't figure out why it woulda done that. We had the cable positions right. And just in case, we grab another pair of jumper cables and try it out again. It begins to do the exact same thing (after we try to start it) I grab the cables off before they melt down. I can't figure out WHY it did that. So tonight, I've been thinking it MIGHT have something to do with the starter and stuff, so I take it down to autozone and get it tested. They say I need a new solinoid, so I put on one. I haven't hooked the wires up yet. I also tested my battery with a volt-meter, and it was way low. So I have that down at autozone right now getting charged. I'm gonna go get it tonight and put it in. Hook up the starter and see what happens.
    I would seriously appreciate any help/comments because I am totally lost as to what could be causing this problem.
    I figure:

1. It most likely has to do with something electrical...perhaps a wire that is grounding out.
    2. It seems to me the electrical problem should be in the ignition system, because any major power drains from other electrical systems are protected by fuses.
    3. It MIGHT have at something to do with the starter solinoid, because I've been having heat soak problems.

That is what is going thru my head at this moment. Thanks for any help in advance. I really do appreciate it.
    ~Ian

2. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

Well, just got back from autozone. Turns out my battery is toast. Bought a new one. I'll put it in tomorrow and hopefully it doesn't get toasted too!!!!
    sheesh....
    ~Ian

::::::::::: Just put the battery in and hooked up the starter. Starts great, seems to run great!! WOO HOO! Although I don't know if the problem is fixed. Think something is still draining my battery? What should I do???????
    ~Ian