Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

elec. to crank tail gate conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Apr 22, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i put a k-line fast track on my truck so i offed the elec. rear window (totally emptied the tail gate of every thing) now i decided to sell the soft top and put a hard top back on--can i put a crank window in a elec. tailgate shell, has anyone done this, same gate? thx--j.c.

2. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

Yes it can be done. The tailgates are the same. I have done this to both an 87 and 91 K5 and put the power stuff in a 75 and 79 k5. The windows are the same you just need the external crank and the internal mechanical parts. The internal power parts can be converted to use with manuel but its easy just to get the non power stuff and put it in.

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i will be removing my manual parts any day now if you want them i just want to get rid of them for real cheap. the pin on the handle for mine broke so it is only half a handle but i have the other piece. it just needs a pin. let me know. have you sold the top? if not i would be interested. i assume it is gone though.

4. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

do you live in co. ? if so i would like to help you remove it so i can remember how to reinstall it, its been a while since i removed mine, thx--j.c. p.s. the top sold in about 30 seconds!

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i dont live in co. i live in san jose, california. i bought the electric parts from someone online. i could make my best effort to try to diagram where everything goes and how it goes. i can try to take pics as well. do you have the switch for the electric window? and the wire harness from the switch to the tailgate. the parts i am recieving are not the complete parts. there may be a couple of peices that i would need still. if you still have your parts i would like to suggest trading parts. or i could just let you know what i need then trade. email me at zachy_man@hotmail.com and we can discuss this a little more easily. thanks.

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

dont worry with it, ill find a rusty piece 0f $hit tail gate and buy the whole thing so i can see how it goes in. ill take a look at my wireing harness for the tailgate, if its not too much trouble to remove you can have it. thx-j.c.