Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Election day fun

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Nov 1, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, as I sit here, We're waiting for a court ruling to see whether ohio is allowed to have election observers/challengers at the polls tuesday.

My dad and I signed up, along with thousands of others, to make sure guys with names like spongebob squarepants don't get to have their ballot counted. We've already gotten thinly disguised "threat" letters from the democratic national commitee and our dem county prosecutor for participating, so we're ready to go.

Making things more fun, Thanks to the help america vote act, polls have to give "provisional ballots" to anyone who asks, and these votes get counted 10 days from tomorrow. With the amount of provisional ballots out there, we literally won't know who's president until January. Why people can't show up at their proper polling place and show proper ID is beyond me, but we have to cater to the stupids I guess.

Thank god provisional ballots in ohio will count only if they're found to have been cast in the correct precinct. That's not the case in every state, so in many places people can vote twice, maybe three times if they vote absentee too, or, they can drive all over town and cast provisional ballots and stuff the box that way.

Just thought I'd warn ya about the upcoming chaos. If I get to work the polls, I'll bring back a full report.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I waiting to get challenged at the polls /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't take no guff from those bastards!!

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Keep up the good work Tom! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would be nice...to vote...without getting harrassed!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I was talking to some buddies like me...that don't favor either party..
    We are gonna be a little pissy if any party slows the voting process....

Do US all a favor in Ohio...
    Vote...and go home..
    We've been bombarded with negative adds...now...let us vote in peace!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'am glad it is almost over. All these ads in the paper and on TV are getting real old.

7. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I'am glad it is almost over. All these ads in the paper and on TV are getting real old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear yah...
    The radio is bad for that crap too...
    I just can't get away from all the ads....this sucks!!!

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just voted. No observers, no lawyers, no nothing, same little old ladies and clunking 1901 voting machine that they use in the school budget votes.

I'm glad there were no computerized voting machines and our district had the big honking mechanical box. I'm not glad that my state is considered so heavily democrat they don't even bother paying attention to our polling places.
    I was kinda hoping there would be observers and stuff. I was all ready to walk in and say "IS THIS WHERE I VOTE FOR GEORGE BUSH?"

I gotta say, even though I know my state will go to Kerry, and I know just by sheer campaign visibility that dunghead Schumer will retain his seat, I felt really good walking out, knowing I voted against them.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I was the first to vote in my precinct this morning. I got to my old middle school at about 6:45am and waited just inside the doors until the poll workers let us in. There was quite a line that formed behind me. We have the newer electronic machines, but the same old folks that are there to work and oversee. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

It will be interesting to see which way Iowa "swings". I hope it turns out RED!! It was close in 2000.

Bush '04 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

All I got was a few pieces of paper and a pencil........

I voted on food taxes and something about satanic or something school funding

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I gotta say, even though I know my state will go to Kerry, and I know just by sheer campaign visibility that dunghead Schumer will retain his seat, I felt really good walking out, knowing I voted against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

My state will go to Kerry as well, and at first I was angry and wished that I lived in a state that would go red. But then I thought - if I lived in a state that will go red then my vote is kind of "wasted", whereas here it is actually doing something by trying to defeat the opponent. So, I too felt good walking out of there, even though I know that in my state W will lose.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It would be nice...to vote...without getting harrassed!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vote...and go home..
    We've been bombarded with negative adds...now...let us vote in peace!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily I made it through my first voting experience without being harassed! Only one person at my locla voting place holding any type of sign and it was for the Tax to help our local police. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very pleasant experience. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

this morning on a local radio show a guy up in new york called in and said that they were not checking ID and that he seen several dems voting several times-and when he pointed it out they (the ones revoting) told him he must be a repub and to mind his biz-go figure

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only one person at my locla voting place holding any type of sign and it was for the Tax to help our local police.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Interesting... There were signs around our polling place saying "No Campaigning".

IN NYC, it's summons-able. I saw on the corner of 42nd and Broadway, there were some signs stapled up this AM.

I called the NYPD and asked if I'd get a ticket for putting up a sign there, and they said yes, not only is it a no-posting offense, but it's within [blank] distance of a polling place, so there are additional fines, and they would be enforced. I'm glad I asked, I was trying to decide if I should tell the Kerry/Edwards people to take down thier illegal sign, or if I should put a Bush/Cheney sign under it. Funny how I decided to check legality before going ahead and doing what I want.
    I mentioned to the officers that there were some illegal signs on that corner, too. He laughed and said he sent officers over while we were talking.

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

when I voted I had to stand in a small line(about 3-4 people).
    a lady walked up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and told me I could vote in the other precinct's voting booths, all the booths were labeled, so I looked over to the gentleman who gave me my ballot and he was looking right at me shaking his head "no". I turned to the young lady, and just glared at her angrily! she just walked away. fawkin libs!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Vote...and go home..

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily I made it through my first voting experience without being harassed! Only one person at my locla voting place holding any type of sign and it was for the Tax to help our local police. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very pleasant experience. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah...it was pretty quick and painless. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

As it turns out, things at my assigned precinct went very smooth. The pollworkers at my table were very professional, and everyone's residence and eligibility was verified before a ballot was issued. What was cool was that all the voters brought ID to help speed things along.

I didn't need to challenge one person, and the only person denied a ballot was someone who was shown on the voter rolls to have voted absentee.

One thing the news media doesn't mention is that the voter rolls themselves will indicate if a challenge is warranted.It's not supposed to be based on the whim of the challenger. We were instructed to not to impede the process, and only speak up if there was a clear violation of the rules. The main objective was to observe the ballot sorting process at the end of the night, and make sure the process went smoothly during the voting.

Even my democratic counterparts were easy to deal with. the only glitch was when an operative from the kerry campaign came in and demanded a vote count late in the afternoon,and Our head judge politey asked him to leave, as they aren't allowed to ask that question.

I did have one elderly man ask me: " what's that Nader guy's first name? I want to write him in for presdient". I told him it was ralph, and then it occured to me.. while it was one less kerry vote, I had to question the wisdom of letting clueless people vote. some folks couldn't figure out how to punch the ballot for the love of pete.

I can't say every precinct was trouble - free. far from it. I will say that even though my assigned precinct was 99.99% democrat, the people were honest and decent enough to just vote and not play games. No busloads of homeless people showed up, thank god.

Anyway, that's the view from here. Enjoy the recounts.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update Tom. Its nice to hear what really happened. Looks like the Republicans have swept the election!