Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Air Pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 5, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright heres my thought, the S10 will be a street driven rig. Problem there is, its an 85 so it has to pass emissions. I am sure I can get people to overlook the fact that its a V8 and that there isn't an air pump or EVAP system, but passing the sniffer test they won't overlook. I am going to run a Cat, so I will get one with an A.I.R. tube and am thinking I will put an electric A.I.R. pump on, to help lower the emissions. I know some Fords ran these, wondering if anyone knows where to source one and whether this is a good idea?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just saw a felow mechanic replace the a.i.r tubes on a late 90s s10. it has electric a.i.r pump. just a idea and its gm unit.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't need AIR to pass a sniffer test. I'd try it without before attempting with.

I would check into catalytic converter operation, the AIR injected are probably a different construction/design than non-AIR injection, so you may have to go "all out" one direction or another, which in your case sounds like you are leaning towards the better safe than sorry camp. Just sounds like a big fairly expensive hassle for *maybe* getting a reduction in emissions.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I don't know what you emmission levels need to be but most states are like less than 1.2 % CO, and 220 PPM HC. These are usually very easy to meet
    with an aftermarket cat with out air. And if you engine is running in proper
    tune I have seen many make the above # with ease. See if you can find
    a four gas anyalizer in you area to have a low cost test done.
    Good luck