Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric brake controller, which one and where to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need an electric brake controller for my 2500. We have a car trailer with electric brakes and I already have 2 tow jobs lined up(an rx-7 and a 78 bronco on 39s that will be fun to tow). I have a hitch but need a brake controller and wiring setup. My truck didn't come with the tow package if that matters.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Jordan Ultima is the best for vehicles with Anti lock brakes. http://www.jordanbrake.com/

Why it's the best is it has a connection to your brake peddle. It varies the amount of braking on the trailer to match the amount of braking your doing and it has no possibility of outside influence.

All other brake controlers, except the old style that you tie into the hyrdaulics such as the Kelsey Hayes that I'm currently using, are "Reactive" controlers. They guess at the amount of braking you require. They have enersia sensors that once the truck starts braking it senses the the force that the truck is decelerating. They can be tricked easily especialy in conditions where traction is a factor such as ice and snow.

Of the reactive controls there is a good one. It's the Tekonsha Prodigy. It's pretty well reguarded as next best to the Jordan.

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have a Tekonsha prodigy on my 96 PSD. I'm really happy with it. It applies the brakes based on the deceleration of the vehicle. I ordered it here. I've also had experience with the voyager on another truck, and it worked really well too.

My advice would be to get a tekonsha or a Jordan, but Jordan's are really expensive. You really get what you pay for in brake controllers. It's no fun to pull a trailer and have it buck and lock up because you can't get the controller to adjust for the load.

Here's some great info on hooking up the brake controller.

BIGJ

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gonna go with the Voyager probably, my dad has one on his F250 and had one on his 94 and 90 chevys. I don't mind having to adjust brakes manually not gonna spend a couple hundred for a controller.