Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Choke - How do it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Dec 2, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I have an electric choke on my truck and it doesn't seem to do much. What should it do How does it know when to do it? Do I need to pump the gas before I start the truck?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is a bi-metal spring in the choke housing. When the motor is cold the spring holds the choke plate near closed and the fast idle cam will be enabled as well. When the truck is cold one or two pumps of the gas will 'set' the choke.

Once you start the truck the choke gets 12 volts...this heats up the bimetal spring which expands and slowly opens the choke linkage. It usually takes no more than 3 or 4 minutes for it to open completely.

Adjusting the choke is no more than setting how much cold wind the spring has. This is done by rotating the choke housing. When the motor is dead cold pump the gas once to set the choke mechanism. Loosen the three screws that hold the choke housing and rotate it until the choke plate just begins to open. This would be done with the motor and key off.

Tighten the screws and fire it up...watch the choke to make sure it is opening at a steady rate. If the motor bogs a little while cold turn the choke housing back the other way a touch.

Rene

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I will try it tomorrow morning. Thanks. Sounds simple.

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Swamp Donkey:
    If you could post your results, I'd really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm gonna have to try it too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif