Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric choke kick off voltage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 29, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My electric choke never seems to kick off and I think I am finding it is because my oil pressure switch is disconnected. So what voltage does it send to the unit to shut the choke off? Think Icould wire up a switch and make it an electric/manual choke?

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the oil sender to choke voltage thing, but I used your second idea and just wired the electric choke to a wire that is hot when the ignition is on, and it works great. I guess that would make the choke "kickoff" 12V. A seperate switch would perform the same function.

andy

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

When you turn the ignition switch on 12 volts goes to the choke and it heats it up causing it to open slowly. So there should be power to it all the time when the ignition is on.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright I will wire that up soon then. Thanks. Yeah this may explain why it seems like my secondaries don't open and hmm maybe some low end performance issues?

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

The electric choke works from the resistance from the thermostat, when the valve is closed the resistance is low and the full voltage goes to the choke coil and it pushes out the rod that raises the idle speed. To gett this action too shut off you manually press the gas pedal so that the idle speed is slightly higher than let off the gas and the motor will return to is normal idle speed.
    Check you owners manual it will tell you this. When I bought my blazer the dealer said that the manual would be helpful, my manual laid around for about 15 years before I read it.
    As for the wireing, there should be a wire that comes out from the thermostat that goes over the the choke coil on the carb, if I remember right I think it is a white wire, the other end of the wire goes to the electrical connector on the fire wall, dont worry about that end of the wire.

LooksBack

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats not the way the system works on my k5. They were right it has to do with my oil pressure sensor. When I cut the stock choke wire and just wired it to a 12v source last night my oil pressure idiot light turned off(its been on for weeks since I have no sensor installed). And I know about kicking off high idle my problem was that it would NEVER kick off. One time it would just decide to kick off but as soon as you got back on the gas it kicked back on. With the new 12v wiring all I have to do is plug the wire into my fuse block hit the gas and the choke kicks off. So just slap a switch on the wire and I am set!

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my oil pressure idiot light

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an oil pressure light??????

hmmmmm wonder why mine didnt come on when I only had 1/2 quart of oil in it?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Choke coil still works off of heat, but that "heat" is supplied by the 12V wire to them. There is no valve or anything that varies voltage to the choke (except on/off). The choke coil "expands" as it heats up, and that time to "expand" is designed into the coil itself.

There's a small tab inside the choke housing that the end of the coil moves, allowing the throttle to "kick down", releasing the choke.