Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Choke on a Q-Jet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1977k5, Nov 7, 2005.

1. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I lost my intake mounted choke (whatever style choke that is) when I went to vortec heads and intake. I am getting fed up with the manual choke setup I have. Anyone ever swap an electric choke onto an older Q-jet (and how did you do it)?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the style you had is called "divorced" choke
    ive done the swap on my M4ME carb (hot air choke) but i havent done it on my 4MV (divorced choke) yet... i tried it and the linkages were different, the electric housing moved the choke cam inboard too far to engage on the choke follower... i havent figured out a method to make it work yet

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I am currently at this project. not because I want to jsut because my other carb crapped out and the old one I am rebuilding has no choke. Let you know tomarrow if I got it to work.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, that is the first thing I tried (ordering that choke from that company). I waited for 3 months for them to ship it to me and they didn't know when they would have them in stock again. Needless to say, when the motor finally went in I went with a manual choke. That kit is pretty expensive too.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad found similar...electric choke just won't fit on certain Q-jet castings.