Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Choke Operation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 that had a stock 305 with an electric choke. I recently did a rewire and I'm trying to figure out how the choke is supposed to work. I was told earlier that the choke needs to be wired into the oil pressure switch, which my haynes manual confirmed. I have two oil pressure units: one that is the sender and the other is a switch. The sender has only one post and the switch has two. As instructed I wired the choke wire to the second post on the switch and a 12v ignition hot wire to the other post. My question is this. Is the choke supposed to have power when there is oil pressure or when there is not? Mine has power when the key is on, but the engine is not running, thus no oil pressure. Is this correct or is the switch bad. Another question. Is the choke supposed to open or close when power is applied to it? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

should have power when the key is on. when it gets power for a long enough period of time the spring inside heats up and opens the butterfly thing on the top of the carb.

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Thats what I thought was supposed to happen, but I know jack about electric chokes, or carbs for that matter. Thanks for the help.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Choke should have power when there is oil pressure, otherwise the choke would be working when the key was in the run position, but the engine wasn't.

Doesn't make sesnse to heat the choke up if the engine is obviously still cold.