Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric choke or not???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Dec 11, 2000.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Those of you with carb style fuel systems do you prefer the electric choke or manual?
    I have a new edelbrock 1405 that I put a electric choke kit on and I wish I had never touched it.
    It starts fine and idles fine but soon as you take off it falls on it face and then quickly pics right back up.
    Next stop sign it does it again.
    I thought it just wansnt warmed up but it even does after I drive it awhile.
    Anyway I am not lazy so I think a manual choke is a personal preference Your in total control.
    What do you guys think.
    Blazin72

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have the 600cfm edlebrock (thats a 1405 right?). ANyway its the electic choke. I like it personally, never had a problem. I like the convenience of that syle choke. A manual choke wouldn't be a bad choice, its your perogative.....js

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why do you think the choke has anything to do with your symptoms?
    Test the choke by taking off your air cleaner, and turning the ignition to on (don't start the engine.) It should slowly open. And stay open.
    I have the elctric choke on the 1406, it would fine. It really doesn't get very cold here in Houston, so maybe you guys in the north have to fiddle more with the choke. Actually, a lot of people around here use a zip tie or something to keep the choke open always.
    -- Mike

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a clogged EGR valve. Classic symptoms of falling on face cold and still some when hot.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I dont know if the choke has anything to do with my problems but it did start acting up until it was installed.
    Could of been the installer (thats me). I personally had problems with electric chokes on other carbs. I just wanted peoples opinion on what they prefer thats all.
    No offense to those who never had a problem.
    I just wish I was you LOL.
    Blazin72

6. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I have an electric choke on my 72 blazer and wish i had gone with the manual choke and was thinking about switching it over. I run headers and don't have the heat pipe any more so it takes awhile for it to warm up and the choke stays on longer than needed and i think that makes my blazer stumble when i give it gas. And i don't think the egr valve would be a problem since they didn't use them in 72.

[​IMG] SMP