Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Choke Power Source

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 26, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

What would be a good easy source for a 12 vlot on/off power source under the hood? Any example, or specific spot on the fuse bax would help also.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Any 12v that is turned on by the ignition will work, look on the fuse block for an open accessory fuse thats activated by the ignition switch.
    Bill

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hook up a voltmeter or test light to all of the open 1 terminal accessory ports in your fuse panel. As long as it hsa power only with the key in the "run" position, you can use it.

Just did an electric choke swap onto a buddies '83 1 ton, so I know there is a terminal like I said. Cut one of the locking stock connectors from a GM vehicle in the wrecking yard, and solder it to the wire you are going to use. That way it won't EVER come loose.

4. 84mudmachine

I hooked it up to the wiper fuse, that is only on when the key is on. Does this sound ok?

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You should use a seperate fuse that noyhing else is on or accessory 12v point that is Ignition controlled.
    Bill

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

On the old style alternators...they plug which has two wires coming from it...the smaller darker wire only has power when the ignition is on, and it is already running right next to the choke. I've had mine like this for about 5 years now at it works great.
    It may not be fused and everything, but it doesn't pose a problem in my eyes.
    Blake

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have mine hooked into hot all the time with a switch. This way I can leave the choke off when its really cold. Mine seemed to warm the spring too quickly, open the choke and die.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The wiper circuit is not a good one to use. If you have the key in the "accessory" position with the engine cold, on a cold day, the choke heater will be energized the whole time. You could get a no-start condition when you go to crank 'er up and drive away, as the heated coil will be holding the choke open. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif You want to have 12 volts to that circuit ONLY in the "run" position. You'll need to probe around in the fuse panel with a test light to find one that behaves that way. One that I can think of offhand is the power source for the power windows. They only operate in "run", at least on the 2nd gen rigs. (Our '94 Sub sends power to the window motors in the "acc" position also).

9. 84mudmachine

Thank you all for the input. I think I'm going to like this forum.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'm going to like this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You'll find a pretty helpful bunch here! But be forewarned... Before you know it you'll be out shopping for bigger tires, more lift, 1-ton axles, engine mods (or even a big block engine!) for your K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84mudmachine

It should warm up this weekend, I hope to find a better place to hook it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif